Starting my first game any good resources to find help?

Started by
6 comments, last by ate50eggs 10 years, 6 months ago

Hey guys....I have had an idea for a game floating around in my head for a couple of years now and finally decided to start working on it after being put in touch with a board game designer who will be handling the rules. I am an iOS programmer by trade and this will start out as an iOS game, but my experience is all with business and utility apps. I can handle all the back end stuff by myself, but it would be nice to find an experienced game dev to do the UI and Graphics stuff. Are there any resources available to try to find developers to join my project team? Any other suggestions you might have for my first game dev experience?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
delete
I was hoping to find people to partner up with. iOS programmers are expensive and I don't have $50k laying around.
delete
Sorry, I am looking for an iOS programmer to do all the front end programming. I am doing a CCG, so there is an immense amount of back end work not only in the app itself, but also on the web service side.
I'm pretty sure there is a place here on Gamedev where you can post offers for free work. You can also post them on the Tigsource forum. You should probably try that.

What is your background in playing these games? Do you already know a lot of table-top and/or digital board games? A lot of the ideas come from the experience of knowing what is already out there and how that sits with the audience. As for asking people to join you for the visual presentation of things, feel free to look into the Classifieds section of this website.

Have you also considered making a beta version that you then pitch to a publisher? Below is a nice video talking about game development:

(Edit: On second thought, you probably already know this, but I'll keep the video up for others to see)

My point is just that you can both hire others as well as pitch your design or even work freelance (although freelance doesn't seem like something you were looking for). Just make the beta with whatever UI/Graphics that you know yourself, then let the other individual (or publishing company) deal with the finishing touches.

You could even try to look into learning graphics stuff yourself. If you research other games and do a couple of Youtube tutorials, you should get a minimum of visual arts competence in practically no time at all.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

Thanks for the advice, I do know a lot of both digital and board games. Been doing it all my life. As for doing the UI myself, like I said, there is an immense amount of work that needs to be done, both on the app side and on the webservice side.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement