Creating a SRV to a ID3D11Buffer resource.

Started by
1 comment, last by Daniel Bowler 10 years, 6 months ago

Hi all.

Buffer Creation:

//Create LLSEB
    D3D11_BUFFER_DESC llsebBD;
    llsebBD.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_UNORDERED_ACCESS | D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE;
    llsebBD.ByteWidth = sizeof(UINT) * totalTiles * 2; //2 valus per tile (start and end)
    llsebBD.CPUAccessFlags = 0;
    llsebBD.MiscFlags = 0;
    llsebBD.StructureByteStride = 0;
    llsebBD.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_DEFAULT;
    //Create buffer - no initial data again.
    HR(d3dDevice->CreateBuffer(&llsebBD, 0, &lightListStartEndBuffer));

UAV Creation:

//UAV
	D3D11_UNORDERED_ACCESS_VIEW_DESC llsebUAVDesc;
	llsebUAVDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32_UINT;
	llsebUAVDesc.Buffer.FirstElement = 0;
	llsebUAVDesc.Buffer.Flags = 0;
	llsebUAVDesc.Buffer.NumElements = totalTiles;
	llsebUAVDesc.ViewDimension = D3D11_UAV_DIMENSION_BUFFER;
	HR(d3dDevice->CreateUnorderedAccessView(lightListStartEndBuffer, &llsebUAVDesc, 
		&lightListStartEndBufferUAV));

SRV Creation:

D3D11_SHADER_RESOURCE_VIEW_DESC llsebSRVDesc;
	//2 32 bit UINTs per entry (xy)
	llsebSRVDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32_UINT;
	llsebSRVDesc.Buffer.FirstElement = 0;
	llsebSRVDesc.Buffer.ElementOffset = 0;
	llsebSRVDesc.Buffer.NumElements = totalTiles;
	llsebSRVDesc.Buffer.ElementWidth = sizeof(UINT) * 2;
	llsebSRVDesc.ViewDimension = D3D11_SRV_DIMENSION_BUFFER;
	HR(d3dDevice->CreateShaderResourceView(lightListStartEndBuffer, &llsebSRVDesc, 
		&lightListStartEndBufferSRV));

The idea here is to create a Light List Start End Buffer (llseb) for a tile based forward renderer. In my solution, I have a buffer of 32 bit uints (2 per tile). Creating the buffer works fine, as does the UAV (Writes in the compute shader seem to work perfectly fine). It is, however, with the SRV I have problems (reading the buffer in a pixel shader in order to visualise how many lighs affect a tile). Especially, the following line:

llsebSRVDesc.Buffer.ElementWidth = sizeof(UINT) * 2;

With this configuration, it produces the following output when we want to visualise this buffer (note that I have faked the output from the compute shader - I'm also having some issues with lights not passing the frustum/sphere intesection test, but i'll be working on that later).

NotWorking_zps5f093e3a.png

Now, this clearly isnt what we want. :/

However, if we change the questioning line to:

llsebSRVDesc.Buffer.ElementWidth = totalTiles;

We get the following output indicating that we are reading the buffer correctly:

Working_zps55bbe41e.png

This seems correct. But I am seriously at a loss as to why this works. According to MSDN:

ElementWidth

Type: UINT

The width of each element (in bytes). This can be determined from the format stored in the shader-resource-view description.

Which seems to indicate that I was right in my first example (Or, at least, sort of correct). Or am I miss understanding this completly?

Many thanks.

Dan

Advertisement

If you look at the actual structure definition for D3D11_BUFFER_SRV, you'l lsee that ElementWidth and NumElements are in a union. So you can't actually set these values separately, since the occupy the same place in memory. Honestly I have no idea why ElementWidth is in there, since I've never used it for anything. You'll want to just set NumElements to the appropriate value, and leave ElementWidth alone.

If you look at the actual structure definition for D3D11_BUFFER_SRV, you'l lsee that ElementWidth and NumElements are in a union. So you can't actually set these values separately, since the occupy the same place in memory. Honestly I have no idea why ElementWidth is in there, since I've never used it for anything. You'll want to just set NumElements to the appropriate value, and leave ElementWidth alone.

Thank you MJP (Again :P), cleared things up perfectly and plugged a knowledge gap of mine!

:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement