2D Oriented Game Engines

Started by
13 comments, last by DANNER 10 years, 6 months ago

What are the best/most used game engines for 2D games? What do you normally use? I've been searching the web for quite some time now, but haven't found much.

EDIT: I wanted to post in the lounge actually, but maybe it's better in this section. If it isn't, please move the topic.

Advertisement

SFML seems popular?

http://www.sfml-dev.org/

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

You can make 2D games with 3D engines. Actually, that would probably give you a little more flexibility.

SFML seems popular?

SFML is a media library, not a game engine.

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials -> http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +---------------------------------------------------------------------+

Making a 2D engine is relatively straightforwards so I don't think you'll see a lot of generalist pre-made game engines for 2D like you do for 3D. Normally, the programmer of a 2D game would just hand-pick the libraries she or he needs and stitch them together in his own engine. (For example, could be SFML for graphics, FMOD for music, Box2D for physics, PhysFS for IO, etc.)

There are popular 2D game engines but they're all super high-level engines where you barely have to code anything. Although if those are what you are looking for, those are pretty good ones:

Game Maker.

IG Maker.

I for one like GameMaker Studio. It is one of the easiest engines to use. It has an IDE used for loading all of the assets, and you have access the GML scripting language, which is plenty enough for about any 2d game in existence. Many of the limitations that the program had in the past are long gone with the updates it has had, which include access to shaders and exports to many platforms.

I've had a play around with Moai which seems to have a lot of potential.

I've also heard good things about cocos2d.

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

Thanks for your help. I will make sure to check those out. If anyone has any other suggestion, feel free to reply.

It's still in beta, but probably soon-ish Unity will release it's 2D functionality.

Next to that, plenty of stuff done in 2D in Unity as well with the functionality already in there.

I agree that Unity is also a good choice. If you are only ever going to want 2d, GameMaker will be better though, because the 2d in Unity won't even compare to the functionality of GameMaker. But, if you are going to be interested in 3d at some point, then Unity will be a better choice even for the 2d because you have a head start on learning Unity itself, and one of the scripting languages if you don't know it.

People have already covered Game Maker. But there is also another engine which can produce similar results to Game Maker called Construct 2 (https://www.scirra.com). I quite like it, though I also like Game Maker. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of Construct 2 over Game Maker:

Advantages:

Easier to use
Can be cheaper if you are making a mobile game, as you don't have to pay extra
Doesn't charge you for each new version, or as much

Disadvantages:

May not be quite as powerful (theory)
Is not as fast as Game Maker
Making mobile games on it can be just a little iffy, though people have done it before

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement