• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
emcconnell

Puzzle Generation, scripting vs C++

This topic is 2109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am building a pong roguelike. Each level of my game will require the player to complete a sudoku-esk binary puzzle. Should I use a scripting language to generate the puzzles, or should I do it in C++ (the native language of the game itself)? Also, what scripting languages are easy to integrate with C++?

Any help, examples or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys.

Advertisement

how many puzzles do you intend to have ?

does each puzzle need unique logic or will the logic be shared between levels ?

If you have fairly few puzzles or the puzzles can share most or all of their logic then scripting isn't all that useful (it can help speed up iteration if you are testing various ideas though). (If the same set of rules apply to all puzzles then you can write the rules in C++ and describe each puzzle as normal data)

If you have a large number of puzzles and each puzzle needs unique logic then scripting will usually be worth it.

If you do need scripting you can look at Lua (it is fairly easy to integrate with c++)

Edited by SimonForsman

Pre-generate the puzzles as some kind of data, and just load the data in your game engine and present the puzzle appropriately.

There will need to be a puzzle on every floor, and the puzzles will need to be procedural generated. I see what you mean in that if all the puzzles share the same logic there is no need to use a scripting language. I could write the procedural generator and solver in C++.

Here is my posting on what binary sudoku looks like: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/648841-new-puzzle-invention-binary-sudoku/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!