goto considered harmful within global macros

Started by
20 comments, last by Oberon_Command 10 years, 5 months ago

Pfft, I once ended a macro with an "else" (and nothing afterwards).

It was my first job though so I didn't know much better.

I had a load of check for joypad presses all over the code (bad I know). Then we got the standards guidelines through and pressing select and start for 3 seconds had to return to the menu. So I hacked it with a dodgy macro ;) That was when I used longjmp to return from anywhere back to the main menu too.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Advertisement

That was when I used longjmp to return from anywhere back to the main menu too.

That's deliciously evil, but it's worth keeping in mind that it isn't unprecedented.

Your longjmp is effectively just implementing a call/cc, and would be considered a (fairly) sane method of control flow in most functional languages.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

It's pretty similar to using exceptions (it resets the stack and jumps to the call to setjmp), without calling any destructors. It was C anyway, so that didn't matter.

Structured exception handling in Win32 uses setjmp/longjmp (but hides them behind macros).

EDIT: My evil macro was basically something which went before a call to GetPadState, something like this in pseudocode

macro CHECK_EXIT_GAME:

if(select and start held down for 3 seconds) longjmp MainMenuHandler

else

end macro

;)

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

It's pretty similar to using exceptions (it resets the stack and jumps to the call to setjmp)

Aye, but "control flow via exceptions" gives everyone the heebee jeebees.

call/cc only typically causes heart attacks in procedural programmers blink.png

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

The funniest thing that happened in that project was when I had several bugs active at the same time:

I was running he NTSC version on a UK telly (so it was in black and white, TVs these days can handle NTSC and PAL). Not really a bug

There was a bug where the main menu music kept restarting after every data read

After a data read the CD speed was 2x so the music was way fast and high pitched (it was annoying steel drum band music as well!)

It was a golf game but something was wrong with the AI aiming so it was hitting the ball backwards instead of forwards

End result it was like watching a silent B&W golf comedy with mad double speed steel band music where the AI golfer kept hitting the ball backwards towards the camera.

I was really quite surprised when I first attempted to add error checking at work, and my compilation failed with a error: use of undeclared label 'onError'.

From a ubiquitous global header in a (thankfully recently deceased) library within our project:

#define CheckSuccess(condition) do { \
    if (!condition) { \
        goto onError; \
    } \
} while (0) 

The idea that an error checking macro would require the current function to implement a specifically named label for error cleanup (or, indeed, that there would be significant error cleanup not handled by RAII), is a little unpleasant to me...

I should probably add that the author of this particular gem thought that they were working around the lack of exception handling on our target platform.

I used to do it simpler...

#define CheckPrecondition(condition) { if ( ! condition) goto ON_PRECONDITION_FAIL; }

Could have sworn I used to get that to work in a (native code) FSM macro simplified script language

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

I was really quite surprised when I first attempted to add error checking at work, and my compilation failed with a error: use of undeclared label 'onError'.

From a ubiquitous global header in a (thankfully recently deceased) library within our project:

if (!condition) { \
        goto onError; \
    } \
} while (0) 

The idea that an error checking macro would require the current function to implement a specifically named label for error cleanup (or, indeed, that there would be significant error cleanup not handled by RAII), is a little unpleasant to me...

I should probably add that the author of this particular gem thought that they were working around the lack of exception handling on our target platform.

I used to do it simpler...

#define CheckPrecondition(condition) { if ( ! condition) goto ON_PRECONDITION_FAIL; }

Could have sworn I used to get that to work in a (native code) FSM macro simplified script language

It is simpler but also prone to errors that the do-while(false) method is isn't. The do-while(false) method requires a semicolon to work, while it is optional and can silently change the behavior of your code whether it is there or not with your variant.

But, I'd say that such hacks deserves some happy debugging times when they do change the behavior...

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/coroutines.html

Not exactly goto in macro, but switch case is similar to goto.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/coroutines.html

Not exactly goto in macro, but switch case is similar to goto.

Please refer to the gem at the bottom of that page:
* PuTTY is a Win32 Telnet and SSH client. The SSH protocol code contains real-life use of this coroutine trick.
  As far as I know, this is the worst piece of C hackery ever seen in serious production code.

TRTWTF is nobody escaped expression in parenthesis:

if (!(condition)) { \
        goto onError; \
    } \
} while (0) 
Hurr durr Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu CheckSuccess(obj.frobnicate() || obj.bang()) R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn and what not...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement