• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MarcusM.

Indie Game Developer - Bit confused

This topic is 2102 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to listen to your point of view when it comes to Java or C++. At least for my case.

I’m intereseted in working as freelancer on my own, some day go into Indie games. I’m not sure if i would like to learn java or c++ for this case and as somewhat my first fully known language. I have been speculating between languages for the past two years, and never actually understanded a language fully. Just got a a certain level within each language and then changed. At the moment i feel that i know java the best, but i also find it extremly hard because of the long syntaxes that it posesses.

I would believe i know the basic idea around everything from basic I/O, OOP (Classes/Methods/Parameters), Variables, IF/Else Conditions(Nested), For/While/Do-While loops, Arrays (Half through).

I would be very interested in starting with 2D games, like using Slick2D or Lwjgl for this very soon.

Or do you beleive i should take over to C++ instead? And if not, whats a valid and good point in my progress to expand over to game programming ? What more should i know? et cetra.

Best Regards

Advertisement
Choose carefully because both languages seem to be good. C++ seems to trust the programmer a bit more, and it might be faster if an experienced programmer knows what they're doing, but that's theory, because from what I hear, both are fast. If you feel more comfortable with Java, you can probably use that for now. Though C++ is a good language for games, so some people might urge you, with good points that I may or may not agree with, to use that :).

And if I were choosing a language right now, I would personally choose something different - Javascript or C#. Because I want to use Unity.

I’m intereseted in working as freelancer on my own, some day go into Indie games. I’m not sure if i would like to learn java or c++ for this case and as somewhat my first fully known language.

Forget "Game Programming" for a second.  If you really want to understand programming, then C/C++ is the way to go.  Java/C#/Javascript or any of the other languages will be a lot easier to learn after you learn C/C++.  I am a big fan of Java, I have written tutorials about it, and I'm currently finishing up a game programming book for Java 2D, but learning C++ makes everything else a piece of cake.  smile.png

-my two cents

Edited by Glass_Knife

All of the major ten or so coding languages are just fine for scripting in game source code, speaking in general, for the long term.

Things that do matter much more are your game concept goals, coding to target a platform framework (.Net Framework, Java Runtime Environment, and Mono are the most common.), and the software development framework of choice (Game engines, SDKs, and/or IDEs).  Beginners should simplify by picking one or two frameworks which meet the needs for the first several games and selecting the most appropriate coding language according to these strategic decisions.

Often a framework was created for a certain language or small set of them, but may have support for other languages. Chose ONE most favored by the framework developer and work with it for several months or even 1-2 years, unless you really feel strongly about using a secondary language of a certain framework. Only after you reach intermediate level in coding a language should you add another one, in my opinion.

Java coding language combined with JRE is hard to beat unless you choose another language with a framework designed to allow it to be hardware cross-platform.  In any case, the correct runtime environment must be installed by the machine's operating system or a later version of it.   Sometimes a game notifies the end-user to get the minimum version of the runtime or update what they have, but these are advanced game development issues.

The newest game developers should have experience with making simple applications before starting game development, maybe 3-5 of them.  Next would be to create short game coding which is of the console application type, such as tic-tac-toe, crossword puzzle, question and answer quiz game, and so on.  Stay in vector graphics only for months or even 1-2 years.  A 2D game engine could be used for this or relatively early in the learning of game dev.  

The 3D games should be 1-2 years down the road minimum.  Beginners should stay the crud from C++ for at least a year, in my view.

Detailed application development courses are highly recommended, whether classes, books, or online tutorials.

Edited by 3Ddreamer

I would believe i know the basic idea around everything from basic I/O, OOP (Classes/Methods/Parameters), Variables, IF/Else Conditions(Nested), For/While/Do-While loops, Arrays (Half through).

Taking this list as your experience, I would suggest staying with Java and learning it better for now. So yeah, make a game. Do a big project in Java. Then think about learning C++ when that succeeds.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!