Terrain mercator projection

Started by
1 comment, last by peter_sim 10 years, 6 months ago

Hi Guy's,

First this is my first post here and excuse my English since it is not perfect.

I am currently working on a war Sim and we lost our lead programer so i need to fill the gap while we found another.

I am a senior 3D,2D artist and i can script a bit and i have start learning C# last year, i am what people often call a tech artist.

So my problem is my terrain generation method in Unity, we need to represent the whole earth map in full 3d and we need to have detail coastal lines.

First i have a 16 bits raw heightmap of the whole earth with a resolution of 10,800 X 5,400 to work with and my first question is : How many tiles should i subdivide it to assemble it in Unity to maintain enough resolution for decent coastal lines detail?

My second question is what tile size should i aim for?

heightmap-grid_zps33d98db7.jpg

This image is just an example of the earth grid subdivision, the number can be anything.

The second image show what need to be detail :

legend_zps57a94b77.jpg

Thank for anyone who can shed some light on the correct procedure.

Target plateform is PC&Mac

Sincerly Peter

Advertisement

Hi guy's,

After some reading i made it seem that i am aiming at something unity is not capable of handling by this i mean a global representation of earth.

What surprise me is that 10 years old game could do it and a modern engine cannot manage to do it or am i just mislead by wrong informations?

I would really appreciate if anyone who have prior experience with this kind of terrain can shed some light instead of spreading more confusion about it.

Sincerly Peter

OH my was i wrong with this resolution!

The terrain would only be good for a space perspective.

Seem like i will need to grab the complete srtm set at 90 meter resolution to have anything decent for clean and detailed coastal lines.

By the way did i post this in the wrong section?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement