Minotaurs & Unicorns (old-school RPG)

Started by
19 comments, last by Acharis 10 years, 6 months ago

Note: After a break I'm resuming work on my nostalgic RPG, I estimate/hope I can release something playable before the end of this year, here is an old topic http://www.gamedev.net/topic/635266-oldschool-retro-rpg-feedback-and-ideas-needed/ . In this topic I don't have a specific questions, just would like to get your overall feedback on anything you think I should know, your feelings on the game, random ideas, what you think, etc. I will create topics for specific issues a bit later.

I have been making an oldschool retro RPG (western, not jRPG) and now I have an alpha available. I would not mind your feedback smile.png

What the game is about:
- retro, oldschool, classic RPG, for those who liked the PC/Amiga games from the late DOS era (90s)
- it is NOT a remake, it's a fully original game, just stylized like the old games
- first person perspective, 90 degree rotation
- simple and pure fun, you go around slaying monsters and having various quests and adventures
- non liner, not storyline driven (the main storyline is very simple), the game allows you very high freedom in terms of where to go (few locked locations, most are "if you can survive the monsters there, you can go there immediatelly")
- the world is relatively small but rich (no huge empty areas); random, completely unrelated to the main storyline, NPCs inhabit wilderness

urrpg-screen-eyecombat_zps3435cae4.png

urrpg-screen-barrier_zps7ddb6557.png

urrpg-screen-spellbook_zpsae71f41f.png

DOWNLOAD:
NA (Windows only for now, Mac later)
(early alpha, unplayable, many things do not work yet, but you can get the feel of it from this)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

Some parts of the interface makes it playable on tablets (big arrow buttons and such) but other controls are too small (like scrollbuttons in the menu). Do you have plans on porting it to a touch interface?

did you do the art?

As a completely separate comment which is not helpful. It is very nice to see that in facing a beholder that close - all of those characters have melted faces -- this is a good thing smile.png 'cause beholder's really do kick ass.

note: I figure the melted faces is just you showing damage taken at the time of screenshot.

Edit: On the second screenshot you show a tombstone taking damage - I assume that this was actually a killing blow. You might consider a slightly different graphic for showing a killing blow or alternatively have the character portrait take the damage then the tombstone replacing.

Edit: Minotaurs & Unicorns --- this is indeed a horny dilemma :)

Some parts of the interface makes it playable on tablets (big arrow buttons and such) but other controls are too small (like scrollbuttons in the menu). Do you have plans on porting it to a touch interface?

No, I want to concentrate on PC only and release it ASAP. But, I have heard this suggestion a few times already, so... I will definitely consider it after the rlelease (or more probably when/if I would be making Minotaurs & Unicorns II :D)

did you do the art?

Take a guess :D

Hint: does it look like made by a real artist? :)

As a completely separate comment which is not helpful. It is very nice to see that in facing a beholder that close - all of those characters have melted faces -- this is a good thing smile.png 'cause beholder's really do kick ass.

note: I figure the melted faces is just you showing damage taken at the time of screenshot.

Well, the real reason is that the portraits are very poor quality at the moment, so I tried to capture screens when they were getting a massive damage (so their ugly faces are covered) or most of them are already dead :)

And yeah, the floating eye (beholder is trademraked :() rocks. Not clue why but everyone I ask agrees on this :D

Edit: Minotaurs & Unicorns --- this is indeed a horny dilemma smile.png

Yeah, sure, make fun of a poor coder who had a hard time inventing the title :) Actually, the moment when I finally made up my mind on the title was a very happy one (I definitley prefer debugging the code than invent names/titles...)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

mipmap, on 14 Oct 2013 - 1:39 PM, said:

snapback.png

No, I want to concentrate on PC only and release it ASAP. But, I have heard this suggestion a few times already, so... I will definitely consider it after the rlelease (or more probably when/if I would be making Minotaurs & Unicorns II biggrin.png)

I was asking because then I don't understand why you have the arrow buttons in the bottom right corner smile.png I'ts usually important to give the player cues about what "state" the game is in. Perhaps you could utilize this corner better.

You seem to have a character selected, perhaps you could use the corner to present "static" quest info, weapon selection and other stats here. Life and mana seems to be displayed next to the character portrait with graphics.

well it looks decent. Because of my ohrrpgce days I have respect for people that do their own art without necessarily being skilled at it. Faces look ok and everything else makes sense. Gratz

I was asking because then I don't understand why you have the arrow buttons in the bottom right corner smile.png I'ts usually important to give the player cues about what "state" the game is in. Perhaps you could utilize this corner better.

You seem to have a character selected, perhaps you could use the corner to present "static" quest info, weapon selection and other stats here. Life and mana seems to be displayed next to the character portrait with graphics.

The interface instantly made me think of Might&Magic III, which I loved playing back then, maybe thats why he made it look like that.smile.png

At least the monster could profit from a few extra pixels though.

I was asking because then I don't understand why you have the arrow buttons in the bottom right corner
But... but... it was always in the right bottom corner since the dawn of ages :) Always! Dungeon Master, Eye of Beholder, name any of these, it was always there. I can't imagine it being anywhere else :)

In short, it's there purely for nostalgia and mood reason.

I really like your game from the screenshots, and I like the name chosen. I will be following it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement