• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
boolean

[Released] Stupid Human Castles - A different take on an old puzzle game

This topic is 2085 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all

So while I've been wasting time away from the forums, I've finally got around to releasing my first Android game. Huzah!

Stupid Human Castles

screenshot1.png    screenshot2.png   screenshot3.png    screenshot4.png

HTML5 Demohttp://spectragate.com/stupidHumanCastles

Android Demohttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spectragate.stupidhumancastles_free

(And a full version at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spectragate.stupidhumancastles_paid)

It's basically a variation of a certain old game (..ahem) with different unit types you use to attack and destroy the human castles. Over time the castles get different defenses and you get more monsters. 

It was written using libGDX which I highly recommend looking into if you have not heard of it. If anyone has any questions about it let me know.

Hope you guys like it wub.png

Advertisement

I've updated the html demo. I got some feedback that it wasn't clear that you can use keyboard controls in the PC version, so I've added a little tip on the first level. 

It makes me wonder how many people who finished the demo were able to do so by just using their mouse to play blink.png

Cute little game, just played the HTML 5 demo. Highlights how bad I am at certain old games. Is it just you, or is there a team?

Also just tried the HTML5 demo after stumbling across your journal entry, looks great and seems to run well, and I had fun for the very brief try I gave it.

Planning to check out the Android version, as I expect I'll enjoy it more on mobile, and be able to squeeze in short play sessions more easily!

Looking forward to trying our some of the different unit types and seeing the harder levels! smile.png

In most Android games, the hardware back button exits out of menus, and prompts to quit the game from the main menu, but it doesn't seem to do so for Stupid Human Castles. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S[s]3[/s]4 if it matters. smile.png

Sorry to double-post, but just had to let you know I'm absolutely loving this at the moment...

...and to ask, has anyone managed to beat the level with the ogre's?  I got through all of the others pretty quickly once I figured out the play style, but this one is just brutal and I've had no luck at all! sad.png

Oh people are replying to this thread! I thought it dropped off the face of the earth :D

Cute little game, just played the HTML 5 demo. Highlights how bad I am at certain old games. Is it just you, or is there a team?

Thanks! The game was made by me and the artwork was done by another person.

In most Android games, the hardware back button exits out of menus, and prompts to quit the game from the main menu, but it doesn't seem to do so for Stupid Human Castles. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S34 if it matters. smile.png

The back button is a little tricky on android - By default hitting the back button closes the game. Unlike the home button it doesn't minimise the app, it just kills it. libGDX has a helper method to turn off the back button to avoid this, but it has to be totally off or on. I was doing some reading into how to leave it turned on but then catch the event to go backwards through menus but it's surprisingly difficult. I had another person mention the same issue so I added some little close buttons to the menus just so it's more obvious how to close them.

Sorry to double-post, but just had to let you know I'm absolutely loving this at the moment...

...and to ask, has anyone managed to beat the level with the ogre's?  I got through all of the others pretty quickly once I figured out the play style, but this one is just brutal and I've had no luck at all! sad.png

Thanks jbadams biggrin.png It's pretty amazing to have members around here who I've known for so long having fun playing a game I made wub.png

As for the ogre level, I originally made the level too easy, so before I published the android app I cranked up the difficulty. Unfortunately I made it TOO hard. I had someone else mention that to me so I've turned down the difficulty on that level a bit. If the level is still too hard though, let me know.

Hi.

Just wanted you to know that I tried the HTML5 demo and i liked it a lot!

Good use of the tetris mechanics and a the production quality has a polished and finished feeling to it.

Good job.

Hi.

Just wanted you to know that I tried the HTML5 demo and i liked it a lot!

Good use of the tetris mechanics and a the production quality has a polished and finished feeling to it.

Good job.

That's fantastic, thanks mate laugh.png

cool cool cool happy.png

The difficulty on that level seems better now, but... I still haven't managed to finish it, because I'm experiencing regular crashes now, where the program either locks up and refuses to update (but allows me to exit as normal), or simply crashes to a black screen (from which I can also exit as normal).  I haven't narrowed down a reliable cause yet though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!