Hello, world!

Started by
2 comments, last by Lactose 10 years, 6 months ago

After quite a while spent lurking this website, I decided to finally sign up. So, I figured I could write a post basically saying hi, sharing some info about me. Here goes:

Hi!

As some of you might have guessed from the topic's title, my main focus is on programming.

Professionally, I've been working in the games industry for some years, doing things related to QA and level scripting and (mainly level) design, up to fairly recently shifting to a more junior programmer role.

I've had a game idea in the back of my head for about 2 years now, and some months ago I started on the initial design of it, fleshing out the concept, mechanics, etc.

I now feel like I've spent as much time as I should on the design/planning phase, since I know how radically things can change the moment I actually implement things, get feedback, etc.

I should probably note that if my main goal were "simply" to make the game, I would most likely have used a pre-existing engine (e.g. Unity3D), for prototyping and such. However, my main goal isn't necessarily to make games, but to be able to program them. I find this differentiates me from most indie developers I've been in contact with.

My game concept is, for now, a tool with which to learn programming. That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if the game's completion became a more important aspect later on.

In any case, my chosen language is C++, my (current) target platform is Windows, and I'm planning on using OpenGL. I'm currently working my way through the OpenGL SuperBible.

Partly, this post was made as a way to introduce myself and get used to participate in the community, and partly as a way to make it more "official" in my head that I'm actually doing something. I figure that if I get into a habit of interacting and sharing my experiences with my project (or other stuff that might crop up), I might have an easier time actively being productive.

As it stands, the last week or so has seen a lot of time gone by where I e.g. finally played a game I bought ages ago, or watched some series on Netflix, etc.

I'm not too big on blog posts or posts like this in general, so I have no clue how to really end this, except for saying hopefully I'll be posting my project in the announcements section some time in the future.

I guess that's it for me, for now!

Hello to all my stalkers.

Advertisement

Welcome to the community! You might find the journal functionality of the site useful if you do decide you would like to chart the progress on your project or get/give advice or feedback on approaches and technologies.

I'm always a fan of people making cool developer tools :)

Welcome to the community! You might find the journal functionality of the site useful if you do decide you would like to chart the progress on your project or get/give advice or feedback on approaches and technologies.

Thank you!

I'll keep the journal functionality in mind. I have already considered doing a dev blog type thing when my project gets "officially" started, so that sounds fitting. Is there a FAQ or description somewhere on how it works?

I had a brief look, but didn't create a journal yet. I did see some journals being listed as "Featured" (or similar) -- how does this process work?

Hello to all my stalkers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement