Build your own multiplayer backend?

Started by
12 comments, last by JDX_John 10 years, 6 months ago

General question for all the great game developers out there. When you start out with the intention to make the most awesome multiplayer game ever, do you focus on the multiplayer backend too? Do most developers create their own backend to make the game truly multiplayer or do they rely on other service providers for the backend? Is it too expensive to use some other such service?

Advertisement

General question for all the great game developers out there. When you start out with the intention to make the most awesome multiplayer game ever, do you focus on the multiplayer backend too? Do most developers create their own backend to make the game truly multiplayer or do they rely on other service providers for the backend? Is it too expensive to use some other such service?

Common question.....but I will try to answer ...... Most developers (myself and posse included) are better at developing the game. Be it using Unity or something else. We are not good at the backend side of things......and know that creating our own backend will be expensive ..... so I think we will go with a service provider once we are done developing the game. Who do we go with is unknown at this point - byond.com comes to mind but not sure if they will just provide the leadeboard functionaloty or make it real deal multiplayer coz that's the real deal...My 2 cents but others may know better. me a noob.

Common question.....but I will try to answer ...... Most developers (myself and posse included) are better at developing the game. Be it using Unity or something else. We are not good at the backend side of things......and know that creating our own backend will be expensive ..... so I think we will go with a service provider once we are done developing the game. Who do we go with is unknown at this point - byond.com comes to mind but not sure if they will just provide the leadeboard functionaloty or make it real deal multiplayer coz that's the real deal...My 2 cents but others may know better. me a noob.

I don't know if I agree with gotgeek here. building your own backend is certainly tough but doable....besides I don't think there are any companies that will make your game multiplayer easily enough (or without taking most of the money away). It's not like someone has an easy to use API that will allow me to do that.

I was looking at this a while ago: SmartFox Server.

I don't have the first-hand experience, but it seems promising if it delivers that it advertises.

Thanks. I did come across byond.com and a few others like the reddwarf but just like you said it alnite, I am not sure if they deliver what they promise. I will have to check out SmartFox Server. hopefully we'll hear from someone who has firsthand experience with this. Everyone I've talked to has either a second hand information or is asking the same question leading me to believe that there isn't a real solution out there for this. But that sounds strange given the huge gaming community.

I was looking at this a while ago: SmartFox Server.

I don't have the first-hand experience, but it seems promising if it delivers that it advertises.

I did hear about Smartfox server from a friend ut nothing conclusive. A quick tour of their site gives a lot of information but doesn't answer this specific question. I am now curious myself. if there was such an API available at an affordable price (not sure how one can develop it) it would make my life much easier.

Depending on what sort of multiplayer you're doing (turn based vs twitch based real-time) it's relatively easy to roll your own. Something like Parse or Azure Mobile Services would go a long way to helping with this.

Depending on what sort of multiplayer you're doing (turn based vs twitch based real-time) it's relatively easy to roll your own. Something like Parse or Azure Mobile Services would go a long way to helping with this.

Both Parse and Azure Mobile seem like a better fit for cloud storage and hosting. I don't think they provide a backend to make a game truly multiplayer unless I missed something. Have you ever used one of these apps for that purpose?

Both Parse and Azure Mobile seem like a better fit for cloud storage and hosting. I don't think they provide a backend to make a game truly multiplayer unless I missed something. Have you ever used one of these apps for that purpose?

Like I said, depends on what sort of multiplayer you're doing. Both can be used for games where polling for updates is viable. If you need real duplex communication then these won't work at all really.

Like I said, depends on what sort of multiplayer you're doing. Both can be used for games where polling for updates is viable. If you need real duplex communication then these won't work at all really.

yes, what I need is a duplex communication. Let's say I have developed a multiplayer word game and need to hook up a backend that would allow multiple users from anywhere in the world to play the game simultaneously and I want the user and game data to be persisted in some DB and keep ongoing records. This would of course be coupled with leaderboard, user chat and other (social) functionality.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement