• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loxagossnake

How do you 'learn' a programming language?

22 posts in this topic

The topic header might be a bit ambiguous and rage-inducing, so let me clarify it for you before I end up with life threats rolleyes.gif I have only recently put my foot in the waters of game development, and it's mostly theoretical stuff about it. My story with programming -and desire to develop games- though has begun at least 6 years ago, in High School, in an extracurricular class, but that was mostly Pascal-based procedural algorithms. Lately, and after finding a few good men who would like to join me in my quest (and they are serious about it) to learn and finally develop a game or two, I started putting a more serious effort in it. Before you bash me about gathering a small team when even I can't stand on my feet, I have to say that it's just two friends (one is a coed of mine in Physics school) and it really helps keep the motivation up, since we insist on learning together and every time someone gets disappointed, another member of the trio keeps him enthusiastic.

Now, on to the actual question. Since I have fallen flat on my face many times when I thought making a small game would be a piece of cake, I have gotten a more realistic picture of what is in store for us. So, I wanted to start from the basics: learn a programming language, and learn it really, really well. I know I can't master it in the next 5 or even 10 years, but I want to achieve a solid understanding of its elements. That language is C++. I know it's rough and low-level and I didn't pick it because 'it's what the pros use'; I actually love it with all its shortcomings, and I find its attention to detail to be parallel to game development itself. Thus, I shelled out some cash to pick a book after some brief research: that book is C++ Primer, 5th Edition. I have to say it is pretty readable and goes very deep where it is needed, so no complaints about the book itself. It's me who has the problem. Whenever I establish a good reading routine, some kind of OCD kicks in and all in all, I give up. What usually happens is that I read a lot of material, and even if I leave it for a couple of days because of college work, I believe I will forget everything and insist on starting all over again. And yeah, I do most of the problems in the book and write my own code. Also, whenever I get stuck at something I don't understand, I get disappointed. This pattern repeats and it is usually one or two month gaps that I don't do any work. The result? I end up actually having to re-read.

This may be suited better for a psych forum, but before I visit the shrink with such a ridiculous problem, I wanted to ask you people. Which do you think is the best way to absorb the material of such a big book? Do you have to actually understand every single line to even consider stepping into a game development framework? Or can someone go through the book once, fully understand the basic concepts like OOP, and just hop up in the pages again if further reading is needed?

I know many programming languages and it is really not the language that is difficult to learn this is often just various API, and Syntax.  The best way others have mentioned is to learn by doing and researching as you get stuck.  By doing this you learn various algorithms and data structures they carry over across programming languages and then it is really just about the syntax.  This follows suit for all imperative languages and does not really break down till you try to learn a functional programming language where all the design patterns, algorithms, and data structures must be represented in a completely different way.  So as long as you are sticking along the lines of C++, C, Java, C#, Python, etc... Learn by doing/researching eventually it will start to click and make sense.  There is no way to just learn by just reading a book it really takes personal projects to get the total picture.

Start some projects that would be fun to you, if you aren't good enough to start a project yet then read a book on the subject.

I know many programming languages and it is really not the language that is difficult to learn this is often just various API, and Syntax.  The best way others have mentioned is to learn by doing and researching as you get stuck.

And be sure to indeed do that research, because there's little that is more frustrating than trying to "learn by doing" when you don't actually know what you're supposed to be doing. wink.png

i haven't actually coded a single game yet or a single applicatin yet...

i've been reading as many books as possible on c++ and watching a crap load of video, algorithms by robert sedgeiwck on coursea.org. Now I know how to implement merge and quick sort and binary tables.  I'm working on red-black trees now.  

I'm trying to get recursion 100% down. I understand tree traversal with recursion to a certain extent. IT's still a challenge though. Working through Stanford c++ YOUTUBE - cs106b. I'm stuck on recursive backtracking. Trying to figure out how that all works. 

what else can i learn? i already read (skimmed) Head first design patterns.  

so far i guess i have a rudimentary knowledge of c++, java, and javascript.  Any suggestions on what I should do next? I think i need to start realy learning STL with Boost. 

I'm trying to get recursion 100% down. I understand tree traversal with recursion to a certain extent. IT's still a challenge though. Working through Stanford c++ YOUTUBE - cs106b. I'm stuck on recursive backtracking. Trying to figure out how that all works.

I thought it was just a matter of memory allocation and that, the longer the recursion travels, the more memory it requires because the computer needs to store all that information simultaneously and then calculate it all once the recursion has reached the end. But I get the feeling that this isn't what you're wondering about.

Suddenly you made me curious about recursion again smile.png

Edited by Malabyte

I typed in Game dev in google and got this site. I was looking through the forums and saw this post. I just had to join to let you know that I have made several tutorial on programming (I am new myself), and I have produced quite a bit. I am using the Maratis3D game engine myself. Anyhow, here are a few links to some tutorial I have written

Introduction to Computer Programming

http://snapguide.com/guides/understand-computer-programming/

http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=793

http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=830

Object Oriented Programming

http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=839

Boolean

http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=840

I will be looking through these forums to learn more about game development. If you need any other tutorials (I know of many) let me know. 

Edited by Tutorial Doctor

Learning a language is quite a mammoth task, especially if its your first, but I find that continuallly making progress daily is a good thing, even if it is just a small amount of time you dedicate to studying.

Here is a great tip I have learned over the years for any kind of studying or task: get to bed earlier than usual - even if its just 30 minutes sooner - and do about 30 minutes the following morning. That way, you can relax safe in the knowledge that you have made an effort. You don't want to drag the day out constantly thinking "sigh, I still haven't done anything...maybe I'll find time tomorrow....".  30 minutes each morning and you'll clock up three and a half hours a week of programming experience.

At the moment I am currently working with a friend on a 3D modelling project, and where they(being a professional) will update once every few days, I will update a little on a daily basis. Although I'm not on the same skill level as my friend I am at least keeping up with them, and the project is moving forward on a daily basis.

Right, I must get my beauty sleep now or I'll not be thinking straight in the morning! blink.png

That response is rather profound! I took a screenshot of it. There is a life lesson to be learned in that. I actually did this once, to try to become focused on something. I made it the FIRST priority. At first I only made excuses. But when I started doing it as a FIRST priority then I was able to make progress. And it came to the point where that priority didn't only get 30 minutes, but sometimes whole days. I need to refocus my priorities again this way. 

I like how you say you are not on their level, but you make steady progress. Seems to me you are more dedicated. 

Thank you, Tutorial Doctor.

Yes, I understand how you feel about losing your way. This usually happens when you take on more than 30 minutes a day due to greater expectations of yourself which can lead to giving up or burning yourself out.

On the subject of skill level and dedication: Well, I keep in mind that as good as my friend may be, nothing will change the fact that many hands can make light work! biggrin.png So long as I have a useful skill - in this case low-polygon modelling - I can at least make their work lighter...

Wow, this is a very interesting topic. You are very right Serapth. The internet can be a big distraction. When I moved, for the first few days I didn't have internet, and guess what? I READ A BOOK! hahaha. We didn't have cable either by the way.

I wasn't missing it as much as the rest of my family was. I think we can become anti-social that way. I mean, my brother texts me an imessage in the other room. haha. 

Anyhow. I have been into game design for about 2 months (believe me, the time flies really. Seems like only a few weeks) and I have learned so much. And it is just like you say, Try, fail, iterate, succeed, repeat. 

Amazing. hehe. 

i haven't actually coded a single game yet or a single applicatin yet...

Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Writing code is what you need to start doing.  Lots of it.  If you haven't created a single application yet, then you really haven't learned nearly as much as you may think you have.  Reading books/tutorials and watching videos has its value, but it's nowhere near as valuable as writing code.  The only path to becoming a proficient programmer is to write code.  All other activities only provide guidance and structure to that singular critical activity.  For every hour you spend on those supporting activities you should spend an absolute minimum of two hours writing code, 5+ hours would be even better.  The person that spends 90% of their time writing code and 10% of their time 'learning' how to write code will be a far better programmer than the person that spends 10% of their time writing code and 90% of their time 'learning' how to write code.

Yeah, that's true jHaskell. I kept going from video to video for tutorials, and also looking for the best way to learn. From all of those videos I didn't find one person who could make it simple for me. But what I learned bits and pieces from those videos enough to write my own tutorial on programming. And I made it layman's terms. It turns out that programming is not hard at all, and just about anyone can do it. Whether or not you do it well is another story (not everyone perfects their craft).

Sitting at a computer and typing code in an IDE and seeing the result in a console window was not the ideal way for me to learn programming (boring), so I searched for a good game engine that would let me type code and test it visually. Was looking at a Unity 3d video when I saw another engine in the playlist. Tried out the video, went to the website, downloaded it, and ever since I have been doing very well as far as programming goes.

The engine uses LUA for scripting, but C++ as the engine code. I have not found any good help on C++ yet, but I understand concepts well enough I know I can do it. The syntax just gets me. 

I would suggest that a person new to programming games get a good game engine rather than an IDE, and code in that. Even 3D software like Maya or Blender have scripting. Ruby is pretty easy also (used for Google Sketchup). 

I started with Python. It is easy to cross to a new language once you have basic programming concepts down. All you have to do next is learn the syntax of the language. 

Even then, once you get a language down, you have to learn the API's and stuff (figuring out how someone else's code works) which is the most annoying part for me. 

For the original poster: I know I sound like a programmer dude, but I am really new to this, and have been learning a lot in a short amount of time. Just for reference, I found that game engine about 2 months ago (time flies) and so far I have written over 500 lines of code (neat code).

It's not hard, and doesn't have to take long. 

Edited by Tutorial Doctor