Sign in to follow this  
VaugeCookie

Help Creating my first Game with DirectDraw or DirectX9?

hey, my problem is that i have to create a small 2D game using DirectX and i can't seem to find any decent tutorials out there, i am relatively new to programming and its as exciting as much as it is frustrating..

i wanna take this step by step so first things first, i want to open a window, initialise DirectX and draw a background, are there any tried and tested tutorials out there that you would recommend to me? unsure.png

might be worth mentioning that i have taken a look at http://zophusx.byethost11.com/tutorial.php?lan=dx9&num=0 and im getting some good explainations form this site and im about to check out http://www.directxtutorial.com/.

i'll take any and all constructive advice, no answer too small rolleyes.gif

"i have to create a small 2D game using DirectX" Could you elaborate on this? Because I'd suggest something like SDL or SFML to help you make a 2d game. Why is DirectX a requirement?

yeah sure, im completing a home study course in c++ for game programming, and i am now about to try and complete my first portfolio project.

A 10-15 page TDD,but if im honest i don't think i have the knowledge to try and complete such a thing to the spec they require,

so i decided i should try and write a simple.. very simple 2D game using directX, to give me some proper understanding of things like, memory requirement, controls, logic, input.... etc  all the previous examples / tasks within the manuals/ lessons have been in DirectDraw and i know the next years worth of lessons is going to be in DirectX9, so i thought it would be a wise choice to learn this now to gain a small advantage on next year.