My RPG battle system

Started by
13 comments, last by Deadghost GreenGrass 10 years, 6 months ago
Type: Turn-based, no time limit

Description: A slightly modified Golden Sun battle engine for my Final Fantasy VI style RPG. Graphics will still be side style like Final Fantasy VI rather than 3D looking like Golden Sun, though.

Attributes:

Level - the character's level
Experience points / experience points to next level
Status - Normal, Poisoned, etc.
Health Points
Magic Points
Attack power
Intelligence - Magic Attack power
Defense power
Speed - faster speed than the other character means you attack first. Double the enemy's speed and you attack two times, triple and you attack three, etc.
Luck - The higher the luck, the higher the chance of avoiding being attacked.

Other info:

Player Attack Power minus Enemy Defense Power = enemy hit points taken upon player attack
Enemy Attack Power minus Player Defense Power = player hit points taken upon enemy attack

Starting main character stats:

Level: 1
Experience points: 0
HP: 25
MP: 10
Attack: 3
Intelligence: 4
Defense: 2
Speed: 2
Luck: 2

Thoughts?
Advertisement

What about magic defense? I would think certain characters have higher magic resistance than physical damage resistance.

Also, wouldn't you want a range of damage based on the relative attack/defense ratings rather than just being attack minus defense? Otherwise the game is pretty static in the sense that the same attack against the same enemy will always produce the same result.

What about magic defense? I would think certain characters have higher magic resistance than physical damage resistance.

Also, wouldn't you want a range of damage based on the relative attack/defense ratings rather than just being attack minus defense? Otherwise the game is pretty static in the sense that the same attack against the same enemy will always produce the same result.

I thought about Magic Defense but it just seems unnecessary. For magic, the calculation would be Intelligence, multiplied by spell multiplier, minus standard Defense of the one being hit.

I can fix the static attack problem by adding a 10% fluctuation in damage. However, this means at the beginning of the game, attacks will always be the same, since you only do 2-3 damage and can't do 2.2-3.3, so I'll have to make the fluctuation 50% at the beginning of the game and decrease it over time.

Once again, if your goal is to make a game based on another, I will recommend to use the same character sheet, or just take the attribute that you find interesting. :)

Some remarks about your system :

- It's kind of basic. (But, once again, I prefer when their is a lot of attributes ^^ )
- Their is a lot of attribute you can add : Constitution, Wisdom, Charisma, Critics, Evasion, etc... As I said, look into already existing system :)

- Luck is only for evasion? I would use it as a "bonus" for all calcul (attack, defense, etc...) and have another attribute like Agility/Dexterity which is used for calculating the evasion.
- No weapon/armor affinity? A character can have a prefered weapon, and if he is equiped with it he has a bonus for the damage.
- Perks? Kind of like fallout, or the potential in Valkyria Chronicle II. It's something that is added at the start and give a bonus and malus. For exemple : Head-hunter, augment critic chance, but decrease precision. or something like that.
- Skills? Something giving you a bonus and can be gain through playing, for exemple : Fire affinity, after using too much fire spell, your fire spell will be more powerful.

And this is all I can think for now. I hope this can help you, or at least give you some ideas :)

Personally, I've never been that big on Luck stats. It's hard to get a sense of what it really does since it usually involves calculations behind the scenes. The only time I really remember enjoying having a luck stat was playing Fallout 2 when I dropped my luck stat to somewhere around 3 to build up the other stats. And then I met the pariah dog. Good times (not sarcasm).

You say for your game a high Luck will decrease your chances of being attacked. Truth is though, you sortta want to be attacked. At least, assuming that's the primary way that your characters are going to level up. If you have a stat that affects the number of encounters that the player will face from point A to point B, you're going to have a much harder time estimating the player's level progression between those two points. And there's a good chance that a player with a high level of luck that reaches point B isn't a high enough level to progress to point C and will have to grind away for a period of time or get frustrated being slaughtered repeatedly trying to progress to the next point. Neither sound particularly fun to me.

You say for your game a high Luck will decrease your chances of being attacked. Truth is though, you sortta want to be attacked. At least, assuming that's the primary way that your characters are going to level up. If you have a stat that affects the number of encounters that the player will face from point A to point B, you're going to have a much harder time estimating the player's level progression between those two points. And there's a good chance that a player with a high level of luck that reaches point B isn't a high enough level to progress to point C and will have to grind away for a period of time or get frustrated being slaughtered repeatedly trying to progress to the next point. Neither sound particularly fun to me.

I mean attacked during battle. With a high luck stat, there is a higher chance an enemy will miss their attack, which is something you want. It doesn't decrease grinding.

No critical strikes? I like big numbers :)

No critical strikes? I like big numbers :)

Even though it sounds like extra work, I might add them. The odds of an enemy missing an attack or your character getting a critical strike will probably be (Character Luck * 2)% or (Character Luck * 3)%.

You could also drop speed and make agility and it could handle both attack speed and crit strike %.

You could also drop speed and make agility and it could handle both attack speed and crit strike %.

How would I go about that mathematically? Remember, by the end of the game, speed or agility will be 14x-28x what it is at the start, assuming speed or agility is an ability that increases with level. Luck, on the other hand, won't increase with level but may increase slightly other ways.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement