I'm a beginner who wants to create something, but not sure how..

Started by
8 comments, last by rip-off 10 years, 6 months ago

Hello.

I have an idea that I want to create for a game I currently play. The game I play is League of Legends.

Basically, I want to create something that will be visible on the screen when I'm playing the game (in full screen).

I haven't a clue where to start. I want to get into general programming and create applications and so far this is the only decent idea I've came up with that I want to pursue.

Will this be too complex for a beginner like myself? The end product is essentially something that will be really simple, but actually doing it - will it be too difficult for me?

Thanks

Advertisement
You seem to be asking about creating a mod for League of Legends. I'm not sure if you can do that with a mod or not, and I suggest researching creating game mods for League of Legends further.

Regarding creating applications, the first step is choosing a programming language to commit to. Some are easier, some are slightly harder but tend to have benefits, at least sometimes.

Actually, reading your post again, you seem to want to make an application which pops up when you play League of Legends. I might recommend against this. People generally don't multi-task applications and full-screen games.

I might be able to help you further with a bit more info.

Alright.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the game, so I'll include a screenshot of what it looks like when I'm in the game:

inR9xH5.jpg

Where you see the red arrow is basically an area where I want to create something that will become useful for myself (and would appeal to others).

I want to create a chat box, where only I can see it. Where I can type notes into it and it display it myself. Everytime I run the game I want it to be a blank chat box/notepad and when the game ends I want that information deleted. So it's something I want displayed temporarily for the game session.

I hope that makes more sense on what I want to do tongue.png

So I talked to some people about this and one of them said that a simple chat plug-in would probably not be that hard. And reading over your post again, it sounds like what you want is even simpler than chat between users.

Whether or not I agree that you should do this as your first project, you could try it.

I can't really help much on this, but given the decent amount of information you have posted, and the experienced people here, I'm sure someone could guide you further. I actually recommend you head over to Gamedev chat for more instant answers and feedback on this, as forum posts sometimes get overlooked.

Okay, thanks!

I think it's going to be too complex for me to do >_>

Which is more important to you, implementing this chat feature, or learning to program?

If the latter, I'd advise against trying this as your first project. The general recommendation is to pick a language (the exact language is not particularly important, but don't pick C++), buy a good book, read it and as you finish each chapter be sure to complete the exercises.

If the game supports mods, it may not be difficult for an experienced programmer to implement the feature you are describing, but it will certainly be a challenge for a beginner due to the large number of unfamiliar concepts you will encounter.

You can always return to this idea once you have a better grounding in basic programming and problem solving.

Learning to program is probably more important, but the advice I've had is to start playing around and creating something, rather then reading it all up and boring yourself to death.

The initial foray into programming is boring, but it gets more and more enjoyable after the first few months. At least, for me it was that way.

The problem with what you were trying to do is that League of Legends is a complex game... and not open for modification. You'd have to use a complex and weird hack to implement what you wanted, because you don't have access to League of Legend's source code. That hack might even be accidentally detected as some kind of cheat and get you banned from the game.

In programming, sometimes the things that seem easy are actually alot more difficult than they appear. Sometimes the things that seem hard are actually easier than you think,

It's easier to make Pong from scratch than to modify a game that you don't have the source code to.

Programming definitely takes work, and reading is definitely involved, but it gets more exciting if you stick with it for the long-haul.

If you really want to just "jump in" to something, find a smaller game with publicly available source code. Like maybe Battle for Wesnoth - though I haven't personally browsed Wesnoth's source code, so I'm not sure how legible it is.

Personally, I prefer the books + tutorials (not video tutorials; ugh!) way myself, but different people have different learning styles.

I wouldn't consider, "Don't read, just play", the best way toward learning a skillset though. That would just encourage me to shy away from difficult work and only play around with the fun parts. That wouldn't help me grow in skill, because I wouldn't be challenged by difficulties when those difficulties get boring and I move on to something else.

Have you tried GameMaker? It requires actual use of logic, but you can see things happening on-screen right from the beginning, and it is very flexible and powerful. You can then gradually learn the scripting language to further expand your knowledge, but in incremental steps, if doing it the boring way (studying books) isn't an option on the table.

Learning to program is probably more important, but the advice I've had is to start playing around and creating something, rather then reading it all up and boring yourself to death.

Programming is a practical skill. Whatever route you take, if you aren't writing programs you won't learn much. Hence, my recommendation includes completing the exercises in the book.

A book doesn't have to be boring, if it is then the author is at fault. Why's poignant guide to Ruby is a good example of a non-boring book about a programming language. Of course, the challenge is trying to find a book that is both good and reasonably not boring for the language you want to learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement