Sign in to follow this  
Kylus12

I want to make a Sonic the Hedgehog-esc game, I have no idea where to start

I really want to make a game like Sonic. Because of it being so important to my childhood, I want to make a game very similar to it having to run fast through levels and defeat enemies.  I have no knowledge when it comes to programming, music, sound, or graphics.  But I would do anything that it takes to learn how to do these different things.  It doesn't matter to me what language it comes in, I just want to make something!

I really want to make a game like Sonic. Because of it being so important to my childhood, I want to make a game very similar to it having to run fast through levels and defeat enemies.  I have no knowledge when it comes to programming, music, sound, or graphics.  But I would do anything that it takes to learn how to do these different things.  It doesn't matter to me what language it comes in, I just want to make something!

In that case, try Scirra Construct 2 or Game Maker Studio for making the game. They are powerful enough for a Sonic game, but their scripting abilities make making games with them faster than pure programming, as in, making the game is generally faster and easier. Making a character fast is simple, because all it means is changing a few physics parameters and testing.

Thanks, just I have absolutely no idea where I have to start.  Where to I get all of the assets needed to complete it, graphics, music, and sound???

Thanks, just I have absolutely no idea where I have to start.  Where to I get all of the assets needed to complete it, graphics, music, and sound???

I'm not sure of the legality of using assets from the Sonic game, so I'm not going to recommend it, or search out where you can find them.

There are some tutorials for making art that can be found here: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/

For music, it takes awhile to become good at it. You might want to find some free, royalty free music or hire a composer.

I've seen people use assets from Sonic games, I think that you have to put Segas copyright information before the game starts if you want to use it.  But I feel like I need a full tutorial on how to simply start.  What is the best way to start making games?

I've seen people use assets from Sonic games, I think that you have to put Segas copyright information before the game starts if you want to use it.  But I feel like I need a full tutorial on how to simply start.  What is the best way to start making games?

1. Choose your game authoring software (Scirra Construct 2 or Game Maker Studio) [or] programming language (Java, C++, etc) and game engine. I would personally recommend checking out Scirra Construct 2's website and Game Maker Studio's website and going with Game Maker Studio if you have the cash for what you need, Scirra Construct 2 if you don't.

2. Start out with Pong. Then make Space Invaders. Then make 2D Mario. Then, finally, move up to Sonic.

3. Accept that there is no best way of making games. Although some ways are occasionally better than others.

Thanks a lot!  Hopefully this will be helpful.  What I was trying to do was start at Sonic.  Now I see how imposible that s. :P

It's not impossible, it just might be quicker to start with simpler games and build up your skill and knowledge, than to jump into the deap end. Techniques you learn on simpler games with be transferable to more complex ones.

I'm going to start with Scirra Construct 2 because I don't have money, and Game Maker Studio is still a bit difficult for me to understand

You need explicit permission from Sega if you wish to use their assets, if you use them without permission you would be breaking the law. (Yes, people break the law and get away with it all the time, but that doesn't mean that you are guaranteed to get away with it)

I'm going to start with Scirra Construct 2 because I don't have money, and Game Maker Studio is still a bit difficult for me to understand

Game Maker Studio has a free version as well.

I recommend starting from the very basics.

Before making pong as was suggested focus on simply getting a sprite on the screen. Make a ball that bounces around when it hits the edges of the window.

Here are some of the things that the common suggested beginner games teach:

Pong: Teaches how to make a sprite move, how to get user input, how to detect collisions between sprites, how to implement scoring, potentially extremely basic AI.

Breakout: Teaches destroying objects, object management, progressive difficulty.

Tetris: Teaches more complex game logic, arrays, random numbers

Side Scroller: Teaches coordinate spaces (for scrolling), more complex AI, level loading/file management, animations, layers.

I agree with shadowisadog about Game Maker having trial version as well. The OP might have slightly misunderstood what I was saying about Game Maker Studio and Scirra Construct 2 regarding price. Game Maker Studio is $100 by itself but if you ever want to make a game for mobile, etc., you have to buy add-ons which really add up. Whereas with Scirra Construct 2, you pay $119 once and for everything and only pay more if you make a whole bunch of money. I don't know how Game Maker's trial version is, but Scirra Construct 2's trial version is decent and doesn't really limit you for small games, last I remember.

@ shadowisadog: Wasn't there an article or something on Gamedev that gave a specific list of games to try to program, like the ones you mentioned? I believe I saw one, not too long ago.

It's not impossible, it just might be quicker to start with simpler games and build up your skill and knowledge, than to jump into the deap end. Techniques you learn on simpler games with be transferable to more complex ones.

Definitely true, I think. My first game is a 2D game like Zelda3 and it's hard to learn everything. I don't mind, but others might because there's a LOT to cover in a ton of different areas. I've actually taken a "small" break and working on my website atm.

Edited by Malabyte

I finished the tutorial for Contruct 2 and it covered a lot of different events that can be used.  I think that the UI in Construct is soo much better than Game Maker Studio.  And I know about the Game Maker Studio Free Version, it just doesn't see as user friendly as Construct 2.

I finished the tutorial for Contruct 2 and it covered a lot of different events that can be used.  I think that the UI in Construct is soo much better than Game Maker Studio.  And I know about the Game Maker Studio Free Version, it just doesn't see as user friendly as Construct 2.

Construct 2 is easier. I have tried both. And I'm glad you have tried or studied both before deciding.

Give it a try for a couple of weeks and see what you can make :).

If you like Construct, there is also Construct Classic which is fully open source and free (and actively developed): http://sourceforge.net/projects/construct/

Construct itself was started by some of the extension developers for Multimedia Fusion. I remember when the project was first starting. Multimedia Fusion 2 is also a great product that is very similar.

If you like Construct, there is also Construct Classic which is fully open source and free (and actively developed): http://sourceforge.net/projects/construct/

I strongly recommend Construct 2 though. Construct 2 is a huge improvement over Construct Classic. The number of people who think Construct Classic is better is growing fewer every day as Construct 2 becomes adapted.

I'm just going to stick with Construct 2 and see what I can make with it.  But is it only for HTML5, I don't really understand what programming language it runs in.

I'm just going to stick with Construct 2 and see what I can make with it.  But is it only for HTML5, I don't really understand what programming language it runs in.

It runs in Javascript, uses custom scripting known as events, can export to various platforms such as Android, iOS and Windows PC, etc.

It runs in Javascript, uses custom scripting known as events, can export to various platforms such as Android, iOS and Windows PC, etc.

Except the free version can only make HTML5 content.

I definitely recommend the bouncing ball off walls as a first.  Start with a ball on the screen.  Then make 4 walls.  Then make the ball start moving, bouncing off the walls when it collides.  Then add user input, the direction buttons.  The user can help maneuver the ball.  Now to add challenge, start keeping score.  The longer the user keeps the ball from hitting the wall, the more score they get.  At this point you have to display text to show them a score.  Then you have to decide if they should have multiple wall hits before the game ends, or just one hit and its done.  Then you can start a save file to keep track of high scores.

This is the first game I learned to make.....on QBasic :)

@ shadowisadog: Wasn't there an article or something on Gamedev that gave a specific list of games to try to program, like the ones you mentioned? I believe I saw one, not too long ago.

The one I first saw: http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/how-do-i-make-games-a-path-to-game-development-r892

And another:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

Can't find the third one that I liked.

As for Sonic related stuff, here are two for platformers, the first actually mentions Sonic:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/the-guide-to-implementing-2d-platformers-r2936

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/creative/game-design/crafting-a-platformer-game-r3171