I want to make a Sonic the Hedgehog-esc game, I have no idea where to start

Started by
23 comments, last by Kylus12 10 years, 6 months ago

I really want to make a game like Sonic. Because of it being so important to my childhood, I want to make a game very similar to it having to run fast through levels and defeat enemies. I have no knowledge when it comes to programming, music, sound, or graphics. But I would do anything that it takes to learn how to do these different things. It doesn't matter to me what language it comes in, I just want to make something!

Advertisement

I really want to make a game like Sonic. Because of it being so important to my childhood, I want to make a game very similar to it having to run fast through levels and defeat enemies. I have no knowledge when it comes to programming, music, sound, or graphics. But I would do anything that it takes to learn how to do these different things. It doesn't matter to me what language it comes in, I just want to make something!

In that case, try Scirra Construct 2 or Game Maker Studio for making the game. They are powerful enough for a Sonic game, but their scripting abilities make making games with them faster than pure programming, as in, making the game is generally faster and easier. Making a character fast is simple, because all it means is changing a few physics parameters and testing.

Thanks, just I have absolutely no idea where I have to start. Where to I get all of the assets needed to complete it, graphics, music, and sound???

Thanks, just I have absolutely no idea where I have to start. Where to I get all of the assets needed to complete it, graphics, music, and sound???

I'm not sure of the legality of using assets from the Sonic game, so I'm not going to recommend it, or search out where you can find them.

There are some tutorials for making art that can be found here: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/

For music, it takes awhile to become good at it. You might want to find some free, royalty free music or hire a composer.

I've seen people use assets from Sonic games, I think that you have to put Segas copyright information before the game starts if you want to use it. But I feel like I need a full tutorial on how to simply start. What is the best way to start making games?

I've seen people use assets from Sonic games, I think that you have to put Segas copyright information before the game starts if you want to use it. But I feel like I need a full tutorial on how to simply start. What is the best way to start making games?

1. Choose your game authoring software (Scirra Construct 2 or Game Maker Studio) [or] programming language (Java, C++, etc) and game engine. I would personally recommend checking out Scirra Construct 2's website and Game Maker Studio's website and going with Game Maker Studio if you have the cash for what you need, Scirra Construct 2 if you don't.

2. Start out with Pong. Then make Space Invaders. Then make 2D Mario. Then, finally, move up to Sonic.

3. Accept that there is no best way of making games. Although some ways are occasionally better than others.

Thanks a lot! Hopefully this will be helpful. What I was trying to do was start at Sonic. Now I see how imposible that s. :P

It's not impossible, it just might be quicker to start with simpler games and build up your skill and knowledge, than to jump into the deap end. Techniques you learn on simpler games with be transferable to more complex ones.

I'm going to start with Scirra Construct 2 because I don't have money, and Game Maker Studio is still a bit difficult for me to understand

And thanks Godmil, I'll remember that!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement