Unmaintainable code

Started by
58 comments, last by tristan1333 7 years, 4 months ago

I've just done something incredibly stupid.

I looked at more of the code. OK, I was thinking along the lines of "it can't all be that bad, maybe this one is some kind of freak and the rest of it is normal".

It is all that bad. I need to go lie down in a dark room now.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Advertisement

I really hope overgrowth is doing better, because that code beyond terrible. If in If in If in If IF IF IF! wacko.png

For the first few seconds I was still looking for it, and thinking that it was a blank page, nope.

nuke it....it's the only way to be sure.

Nuking it won't be enough I'm afraid, NUKE IT TWICE DAMMIT!

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

On the other hand, it shipped as part of a pretty damn successful indie title. On that score, not bad?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Holy hell, that list of extern variables...

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

On the other hand, it shipped as part of a pretty damn successful indie title. On that score, not bad?

It certainly says a lot about the drive of Wolfire to finish their game.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

If that's the actual code the produced the title that shipped (and not some kind of joke), then like I said, I bow in awe. I find that code horrible, but as bad as the code may look... writing such a thing is one story, debugging and making it work it is yet another.

If the author really managed to turn this into a working product (and if it was successful, it must have been kind of functional), that was truly some great work. Now imagine what he could do otherwise...

If that's the actual code the produced the title that shipped (and not some kind of joke), then like I said, I bow in awe. I find that code horrible, but as bad as the code may look... writing such a thing is one story, debugging and making it work it is yet another.

If the author really managed to turn this into a working product (and if it was successful, it must have been kind of functional), that was truly some great work. Now imagine what he could do otherwise...

The authors are these guys http://www.wolfire.com/

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

On that score even worse, I'd say, as it might give out the idea that this is the way to write successful titles. Sure, you can't argue with the success, but the ends don't justify the means.

I note from their blog post announcing it's release: "The coding style is what you might expect from a self-taught high school student, so it could be a challenge to understand" so at least the author(s) acknowledge it's dreadfulness (if in a somewhat understated way), and I've also found that some poor fool has (or had) a fork of the code with the intention of cleaning it up. That's ... brave.

There's probably a moral to this story, something about not letting the endless quest for perfect code get in the way of actually getting stuff done, but this really does lie at one extreme whereas the ideal place to be would be somewhere in the middle.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

There's probably a moral to this story, something about not letting the endless quest for perfect code get in the way of actually getting stuff done, but this really does lie at one extreme whereas the ideal place to be would be somewhere in the middle.

QFT.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I note from their blog post announcing it's release: "The coding style is what you might expect from a self-taught high school student, so it could be a challenge to understand" so at least the author(s) acknowledge it's dreadfulness (if in a somewhat understated way),
Until I read that, I assumed that the code was produced by an automated tool, stitching together snippets laugh.png .... sad.png

On the bright side, their compilation times would be pretty fast!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement