Unmaintainable code

Started by
58 comments, last by tristan1333 7 years, 4 months ago

I refuse to believe this is how it was programmed.

He's got to be screwing with us. Obfuscation, perhaps?

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty
Advertisement

I refuse to believe this is how it was programmed.

He's got to be screwing with us. Obfuscation, perhaps?

Ohhh that would be quite the entertaining possibility :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

When I opened that link, for some reason it dropped me 2/3 of the way down the page. There was code on the far right side of my screen... none of it looked remotely intelligible...

I scrolled up a few lines, and noticed there were comments that were equally unintelligible...

I thought to myself, "I bet they have a whole bunch of uncommented global variables with less-than-perfectly descriptive names." I wasn't disappointed. Then I realized I was, in fact, *very* disappointed.

At least comparing my code to theirs makes me feel a little better about myself as a programmer.

According to the copyright he worked on this for 7 years.

How do you…

Words fail.

L. Spiro

mouhouhaha, I love.

Wow theres one hell of an if statement in there:

if(((((findLengthfast(&rotatetarget)>150&&(i!=0&&k!=0))||(findLengthfast(&rotatetarget)>50&&player[0].rabbitkickragdoll/*currentanimation==rabbitkickanim*/&&(i==0||k==0)))&&normaldotproduct(rotatetarget,player[k].coords-player[i].coords)>0)&&((i==0||k==0)||((player[i].skeleton.oldfree==1&&k!=0&&animation[player[k].currentanimation].attack==neutral)||(player[k].skeleton.oldfree==1&&i!=0&&animation[player[i].currentanimation].attack==neutral)||(player[i].isFlip()&&!player[i].skeleton.oldfree&&(i==0||k==0))||(player[k].isFlip()&&!player[k].skeleton.oldfree&&(i==0||k==0))||(i==0||k==0))))||((player[i].targetanimation==jumpupanim||player[i].targetanimation==jumpdownanim||player[i].isFlip())&&(player[k].targetanimation==jumpupanim||player[k].targetanimation==jumpdownanim||player[k].isFlip())&&(i==0||k==0)&&(!player[i].skeleton.oldfree&&!player[k].skeleton.oldfree)))
Wow theres one hell of an if statement in there:

You can see a lot of hard coded value in this hell too, this file is a joke from A to Z.

Imagine the scene : "We have to change the jump height value"
Programmer of this file : "WHAT ?!"

This needs a bump to show what not to do when writing code.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

<!-- Build website. -->
<exec dir="${src-dir}"
 executable="make"
 failonerror="true"
 searchpath="true"
>
    <arg value="html-no-deps"/>
</exec>

Like using xml to write a "make html-no-deps" command-line?

Oh no, that's normal practice.

I nearly choked when I saw the number of externs he had. Dose this even run?

My favourite line (7201): http://hg.icculus.org/icculus/lugaru/file/97b303e79826/Source/GameTick.cpp#l7201

if(((((findLengthfast(&rotatetarget)>150&&(i!=0&&k!=0))||(findLengthfast(&rotatetarget)>50&&player[0].rabbitkickragdoll/*currentanimation==rabbitkickanim*/&&(i==0||k==0)))&&normaldotproduct(rotatetarget,player[k].coords-player[i].coords)>0)&&((i==0||k==0)||((player[i].skeleton.oldfree==1&&k!=0&&animation[player[k].currentanimation].attack==neutral)||(player[k].skeleton.oldfree==1&&i!=0&&animation[player[i].currentanimation].attack==neutral)||(player[i].isFlip()&&!player[i].skeleton.oldfree&&(i==0||k==0))||(player[k].isFlip()&&!player[k].skeleton.oldfree&&(i==0||k==0))||(i==0||k==0))))||((player[i].targetanimation==jumpupanim||player[i].targetanimation==jumpdownanim||player[i].isFlip())&&(player[k].targetanimation==jumpupanim||player[k].targetanimation==jumpdownanim||player[k].isFlip())&&(i==0||k==0)&&(!player[i].skeleton.oldfree&&!player[k].skeleton.oldfree))){
"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement