• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NightCreature83

Unmaintainable code

This topic is 977 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

At first I thought my computer was being so slow it wasn't loading at all... then after a minute or so I decided to scroll for some reason. Oh god, what's with all that indentation O_O

Advertisement

According to the copyright he worked on this for 7 years.

How do you…

Words fail.

L. Spiro

I always did wonder why the game was in development for so long.  Not anymore =)

Yeesh, and I thought my code formatting was bad!

This code is what the results of taking a .cpp file and sticking it into a blender would look like. 

Bad bad bad bad bad!

Yeesh, and I thought my code formatting was bad!

This code is what the results of taking a .cpp file and sticking it into a blender would look like. 

Bad bad bad bad bad!

It looks more like C with classes than C++ to be honest. I mean, he's using raw arrays, raw pointers, etc.. pretty much using classes only for polymorphism (if even), hardly ever using the standard library. Instead of initializing a hash map - or even just using a switch statement - the code runs through an entire array every time it needs to convert between a character and its enum value (check out WinInput.cpp). It's a nightmare and one wonders how it even works together at all.

This is utterly incredible. I'm actually flabbergasted that this could ever conceivably have become a product that someone could actually sell.

write-only programming ?

That is a new one, but strangely familiar.

We used to have (20y+ ago) some custom engineered computers available in school, worked well. Except the floppy drive (which was not custom made, probably just whatever was the cheapest around) - its ability to read what it wrote was kind of hit-and-miss. So, everyone called their floppies write-only storage.

Yeah. The only time "The **** ate my programming homework." was actually accepted by teachers (i swear, i am not making this up).

Oh, good old days.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!