3ds max smoothing problem on the same polygons

Started by
7 comments, last by ShadowFlar3 10 years, 5 months ago

Hi dude, I am a newbie on 3D modeling and I am now trying to model a human body.

I have found a sample to learn how to model human body but a problem comes out.

After I have modeled my body, which has the same number, and same position of polygons with the sample,

I found that the smoothness between my body and the sample are different even I have tuned the smooth group of my body.

Why is that and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

The screen cap

(Left is showing the same of polygon and right is showing the different smoothness)

Advertisement

There should be a "normal angle" setting that lets you set the angle above which neighboring normals are unwelded.

Also make sure there are no invisible holes caused by duplicate vertices that share the same position, or degenerate faces on such vertices.

There should be a "normal angle" setting that lets you set the angle above which neighboring normals are unwelded.

Also make sure there are no invisible holes caused by duplicate vertices that share the same position, or degenerate faces on such vertices.

So I just need to weld all vertices than the problem can be solved?

And how can I set the "normal angle" right?

Thanks for your replysmile.png

If errors in the mesh are causing the problem, yes. If you export it as an .obj/.dae I could check it.

There is no "right" setting for normal smoothing, you simply increase it until you are satisfied with the results.

Couple of tutorials that help me better understand smoothing groups in 3ds max:

Highly recommended:

Try this also:

, and find some more for example.

General rule that i picked up from tutorials to keep good "polygon flow": most of polygons should be "quads" (4 sided), tris and n-gons are only fine on flat surfaces.

This is example that i am working on (almost all quads):

wire.jpg

Most of the time you could be "fine" with auto smoothing:

smoothinggroups.jpg

Select polys, "Clear All" then "Auto smooth". But sometimes you want manually to set "sharp" edge somewhere, so you must select affecting polys and set other free smoothing "number" for them.

All in all experimenting is needed.

If errors in the mesh are causing the problem, yes. If you export it as an .obj/.dae I could check it.

There is no "right" setting for normal smoothing, you simply increase it until you are satisfied with the results.

There is a weird thing happened. The smoothness of my model in 3ds max and in obj is different.

Why is that?

Screen Cap

Couple of tutorials that help me better understand smoothing groups in 3ds max:

Highly recommended:

Try this also:

, and find some more for example.

Thank you for your videos! I will watch it.

There is a weird thing happened. The smoothness of my model in 3ds max and in obj is different.

Why is that?

Screen Cap

I have uploaded the screen cap of the obj format

screen cap

Why is that?

I'm not an expert on 3DSmax but looks like it's an issue about smoothing groups and if you study them a bit more you'll understand how to achieve the look you are striving for. You probably have some modifiers in your mesh that aren't being processed correctly as you export to other formats.

Or you might have some inconsistency such as unconnected edges / flipped normals in your mesh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement