I've released my game dev book for free

Started by
16 comments, last by Dan Violet Sagmiller 10 years, 5 months ago

A couple of lines of code that you need to fix in the book. The book differs from the code you have provided in the source and that makes the game not run properly.

1. On page 150

Vector2 size = Access.ImageSize(element.Image);

should be

Vector2 size = element.Size;

2. For the Access class the screen size in the book is 640x480 it should be 800x480, like in the source

These two cause the ship to stop before it reaches the end of the screen, so just thought I'd let you know.

So far I am up to "Adding the star field" chapter and enjoying this book a lot. Its a great effort by you for which I am grateful. Although I think you need to really have this book proofread a bit more as I found a lot of grammatical and spelling errors. Other than that I think so far this book has been really good.

Advertisement

By the way, you have a bit of a typo on your landing page ( the one you linked ). Unless of course you actually died trying... :)

Dan, what a great book! But those figures of people like "Kathy", "Daron" etc looks horrific, please add some good looking ones smile.png

I completely agree! I'm not a skilled artist, as you can see. I'm working with a marketing agent and some other people on making this book more professional. new Art (and cover) will definitely be part of that.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

A couple of lines of code that you need to fix in the book. The book differs from the code you have provided in the source and that makes the game not run properly.
1. On page 150
Vector2 size = Access.ImageSize(element.Image);
should be
Vector2 size = element.Size;
2. For the Access class the screen size in the book is 640x480 it should be 800x480, like in the source
These two cause the ship to stop before it reaches the end of the screen, so just thought I'd let you know.

Thank you! I'll add these notes to the list of fixes when I'm revisiting these areas. I used a diff to compare code version differences, trying to make sure I got all the changes, and brought them up in the chapter. These got through that some how. I'm really grateful you included location information in it.

So far I am up to "Adding the star field" chapter and enjoying this book a lot. Its a great effort by you for which I am grateful. Although I think you need to really have this book proofread a bit more as I found a lot of grammatical and spelling errors. Other than that I think so far this book has been really good.

I had no editor, and decided to release anyway, just to get it going. Now that momentum has picked up on it, I'll be getting all this resolved. I'm face-palming on half the issues I find. :) I'm really glad to hear that you are enjoying the book.

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

I think you are doing well overall, though. Being a writer is difficult. Being a teacher is difficult. Add to that art and editing, and you have a lot placed on yourself.

By the way, you have a bit of a typo on your landing page ( the one you linked ). Unless of course you actually died trying...

This is my ghost talking: I wanted to make this book better so bad, that I'm now haunting it.

But I seriously laughed when I found this one. I'll be getting that cleared up. Thank you for pointing it out, so that I can fix it, and for the comedy. :D

In the "Reduce Processing Load" section on page 171, please add the code to actually remove the element from the list in the UiElements class. its in the source but missing in the book.

In the "Reduce Processing Load" section on page 171, please add the code to actually remove the element from the list in the UiElements class. its in the source but missing in the book.

Thank you, I'll get that in place as well

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement