• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alundra

Animation theading

This topic is 2129 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

On the CPU side, are you using SSE2 (at minimum) for matrix multiplication?

I have 0 SSE code in my math code actually, I should add that a day.

Advertisement

Can you clarify if you're CPU-bound or GPU-bound?

It sounds like you are CPU-bound (calculating the bone matrices?) - but some folks are offering shader optimizations, which won't make a difference if you're being limited on the CPU.

I have profile using very sleepy during 1min and we can see that operator* of the matrix is the heaviest function called on the list :

CMatrix4::operator* = 2.43s (exclusive)

the second on the list is QuaternionSlerp :

QuaternionSlerp = 1.57s (exclusive)

QuaternionSlerp could be replaced by QuaternionNLerp only I think, I do a check inside to do a NLerp :

const float CosPhi = QuaternionDot( q1, NewQ2 );
if( CosPhi > ( 1.0f - 0.001f ) )

but since the most of time angle is low, this check could be removed and go just for QuaternionNLerp.

My actual performance is on a map of 250 000 triangles with 10 characters animated of 50 bones with textures and directional lighting : 530 FPS.

Edited by Alundra

How many calls were there to CMatrix4::operator*?

It's taking up 4.05% of your CPU time, so it almost sounds like... *drumroll, please* you should be offloading a lot of that work to the GPU through the use of vertex shaders.

Can you walk us step-by-step through the process you use to render a single entity once?

I think it's not here that the heaviest code is, my send of data for a skinned to the GPU has nothing fancy :

1) Bind VertexBuffer/IndexBuffer

2) Bind VertexShader

3) Update constant buffer, on this part I do InverseBindPose*FinalTransform[ i ].

4) for loop of material subset

5) Check if we have a material

6) Bind PixelShader

7) Update constant buffer/textures

8) Draw the subset

My actual performance is on a map of 250 000 triangles with 10 characters animated of 50 bones with textures and directional lighting : 530 FPS.

530FPS! What makes you think you have a performance problem? What are your performance goals?

The matrix operations you listed are taking up 4% of your CPU time. Assuming that's all in the bone calculations, and you were able to successfully divide the work onto 4 cores, it would now be taking 1% of your CPU time. So the CPU time for a frame is now 97% of what it used to be (i.e. of questionable benefit considering the added complexity).

If you're really worried your CPU bone matrix calculations are a performance issue, make a build where you can turn them off at will (i.e. just not update them each frame). Does it affect performance?

Edited by phil_t

I just would tried to make some threading to see how that works, so I gave an idea of threading but I don't know where the best place is for threading an animation system.

About threading, using SSE2 and doesn't use operator* and use a function with a pointer to a matrix can win performance too.

I have to say too that operator* is used in Actor::Update so a boolean to avoid update of transform when not needed need to be added.

Edited by Alundra

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!