windows8.1 disables part of DirectX control panel?

Started by
15 comments, last by db123 10 years, 1 month ago

Hi,

I have to maintain some old D3D9 code and I have to use a windows8.1 machine to do it, everything compiles and runs, but I need the debug runtime activating to search down some issues. However, it's been greyed out - eek!

mpNVf.png

I did find some posts referring to a fix for this: "Using regedit, go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Direct3D. The "Trusted Installer" has ownership of this key. Change ownership to Administrators, then grant "Full Access" to the Administrators. Now run the DX Control Panel (as admin, of course). Now the changes should be saved."

Problem is I can't find Direct3D in the registry? I've got DirectDraw/Input/Music/Play/Show/X/XSDK, but no Direct3D.

Anybody got any ideas how to activate the debug runtime? I know the obvious ones are either go back to win7 or upgrade all the code DX11, but sadly neither of those options are practical.

thanks...

Advertisement

I did find some posts referring to a fix for this: "Using regedit, go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Direct3D. The "Trusted Installer" has ownership of this key. Change ownership to Administrators, then grant "Full Access" to the Administrators. Now run the DX Control Panel (as admin, of course). Now the changes should be saved."

LOL... thanks for citing me.

Is this new in 8.1; I mean, was the key present in Windows 8.0?

I don't know, never had win8.0, I've been hanging onto win7 as long as I can, but everything just got updated straight to 8.1 at the office so I'm a bit stuffed.

The fix that I posted a few days ago about the registry key (http://www.gamedev.net/topic/644399-d3d9-64-bit-debug-runtime/) was for Windows 7, where it works. I have not yet found a solution for Windows 8.

Just a vague guess... maybe a 32 / 64 bit issue? Is the key located under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node?

Yes, there is a Direct3D key in there - woo!. However, I can't follow the original fix, as permissions work differently in win8.1 than in win7 so not really sure what to do.

:(

Does this help:

http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take-ownership-permission-of-a-registry-key-in-windows/

Sorry, can't check myself. My daughter has the only Win 8 computer in house, but my wife painted that room today and pulled out all the jacks...

Setting the keys in the registry under Wow6432Node to 1 do change some settings in the 32-bit Direct3D 9 control panel. It does however not enable debugging or remove the gray-out, that must be controlled by something else.

Debug runtime of the "old legacy" DirectX SDK (2010 and prior) don't work on Windows 8/8.1 and even on windows 7 SP1 with Platform update as far as I know. This is why PIX don't works on those platforms.

If you want debug dx9 code, you need a machine With Windows 7 (without the platform update) or a previous OS.

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

The fix I posted above enables the use of debug runtimes on Windows 7 even after SP1.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement