Help me make the right choices for getting started

Started by
3 comments, last by Tutorial Doctor 10 years, 5 months ago

I am a very experienced, engineering trained programmer. I'm also an avid gamer and intend to devote serious time and effort to developing a game idea I've wanted to do for some time.

I thought I would list what I bring to the table, as well as requirements for my idea, and get feedback on what would be the most logical tools and approach going forward:

Skill set:

-----------

Very experienced in C# and .NET, SQL, XML and related technologies, multi-user, real time applications, web services, windows forms, source control systems, build systems, etc...

Some experience with Java, JavaScript, and other random languages

What tools I have access to:

-----------

Full MSDN license. Multiple windows machines, iPad (no Mac as yet, but assume I'll get one eventually assuming I port to iOS), XBox, eventually XBox One, Windows Phone, will likely get an Android device eventually.

Game requirements

-----------

What I plan on making is a relatively slow moving tactical/strategy game. Will likely be real time but not in the RTS vein. Will design leaving hooks for multiplayer but focus will be single player to start.

Basic graphics. No true 3d though perhaps some 3d objects in 2d space.

Ideally would like to work in an environment that would allow porting to mobile devices, but initially most interested in PC platform.

I'm currently learning OpenGL/OpenTK basics and working through Daniel Schuller's C# Game Programming for Series Game Creation book, which is a little dated but does discuss a number of game development topics.

Questions

-----------

Is it worth continuing on the course I am on?

Should I be deep-diving into something like Unity right away or is it unnecessary given my requirements?

Are their other frameworks I should be looking at? I have taken a look at Mono Game but its unclear given the depreciation of XNA as to whether this is worth the time and effort.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
Given what skills you have (C#), and what you want, Unity might be the right fit. The only downside to it is it costs a reasonable amount.

I did not feel like I could fully answer your first question as that is really up to you to decide. That being said, you have to start somewhere and it is always a good idea to follow through.

I have touched Unity for a total of 15ish minutes, so I don't have much input on Unity. However, you state that you are proficient in C# and want to build an RTS. I will throw my vote in for Neoaxis: http://www.neoaxis.com/

I use to spend a considerable amount of time using Neoaxis and it ships with a RTS demo framework. I believe it is a little more license friendly for Inde developers as well. If I remember right, it is free for non-commercial use and $100 or so for an Indie license.

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

I would not worry too much about whether something is worth the effort or time or not because you would get a lot of things out of the tools you mentioned. Make tons of mistakes especially if you are starting out. You learn a lot from mistakes.

What you should focus on is core concepts of the subject and what the tools can provide. Use the tool you are comfortable with and also like using.

Build a small scale version of the game and build on top of that.

Your background is good for making a game that requires some type of networking, and if it is tactical I think people will want to play it online against each other (like chess)?

If you know any programming language then all you would have to learn is the syntax of another. You will figure it out.

My biggest hangup is graphics. I am artistic, but getting it done in the computer world is different (less control I feel).

For testing in 3D for free Maratis3D

For testing in 3D(costly) Unity3D

For testing in 2D(costly) GAME MAKER STUDIO (free for windows publishing however)

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement