What steps?

Started by
4 comments, last by Serapth 10 years, 5 months ago

Hello,

I have been coding in C++ and C# for a couple of years now, so I'm not looking for a C++ tutorial but I recently started learning DirectX for 3D games with C++.

So I bought Frank Luna's "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 11" and I'm over half way through. It is thorough but it seems to be very graphics orientated.

If I wanted to move forward with programming a game itself and not graphics what book(s) do you think I should buy?

For example I was looking for: user interface(start up menu, pause menu), using sprites, making a map, granting achievements, character movement (like climbing ladders, balance beams and swimming) and more info on HLSL.

My short term goal is to be able to make a short 1 level single player demo in 3D. Where a character fights 5 or so low health enemies with a sword in a small open field.

Once the enemies are dead the game congratulates the player and ends.
I would want to have a start menu, health bar, pause menu and maybe if possible a very basic map in the bottom corner that shows his/her current position.

I know I might be a bit optimistic and that it won't be easy but I'm willing to learn. I have the time I just don't have the tools.

Please could you recommend any recent book(s) on DirectX 11 that you use that could be remotely helpful.

Any recent DirectX 11 book suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in Advanced.

Advertisement

This is just a suggestion from a newbie beginner, but perhaps you should start with 2D games instead, just to get the hang of game loops and what not? Sprites aren't limited to 2D(2d decals in 3D?), but they are most commonly used there. Plus, it's easier to create a 2D sprite rather than a 3D character which requires 3D modeling skills, unless of course you obtain a 3D model from somewhere.

Although the book uses C++ with Allegro. It does have a good amount of what you are looking for. Game Programming all in One.

I will say that each book I have read on the subject of Game Programming and Graphics, each takes a different approach. Variations use different languages, different Graphics Libraries and So on.

Other Books would be Game Coding Complete, DirectX through Visual Basic. < This one uses VB6, which I know is antiquated, I mention it only because of the ideas and if you are good at C++, then translating the code from VB6 to C++ should not be a problem since there are few variations.

I would also keep in mind, that these books give you only the basic ideas. To fully develop what you may have in mind is going to take you applying yourself and trying things you have learned and expanding the code / ideas in the book.

Years ago I purchased Game Programming for Teens in Visual Basic. < This also Deals with VB6 and DirectX. This Book Shows you how to build a Fantasy RPG. the RPG is very "Basic". No Magic Spells. No Searching for traps and So on. It does show how to make 2D maps and includes animated sprites to get you started.

Good Luck. Happy Coding.

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

Just as an FYI, a "small" game doesn't really make things easier from a programming perspective. Having only a few enemies, small levels, etc... only reduces on the amount of assets you have to create. The amount of programming is just as large as if you had sprawling levels and hundreds of enemies.

Start smaller, much smaller. Here are my general recommendations for beginner friendly projects in ascending difficulty and explaining what you get out of each project.

As the old adage goes, you've gotta walk before you can run.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, however, I have experience in 2D games already and I would like to move on from that to 3D games with DirectX.

Although I am still open for any 3D suggestions.

The standard progression then... a 3d cube, then a spinning 3d cube, a textured 3d spinning cube, and obj loader, HLSL, etc...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement