Sign in to follow this  

Starting loading screen

This topic is 1512 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So there are some games when they startup they do a kind of going through tasks. I'm pretty sure I know how they go through some things but then there's information they get like the OS, audio system, etc. that I kind of wonder how they pull that. But I always told myself if I ever made a game, even if it was a short 5 min game I would include something like this from Sacred 2.

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Silly_Messages

Basically it goes through the startup process, which I'm curious how they do some of it, and then displays a random silly message which I'm also curious how they do that. Would they just get some text file and choose a random line to read from or do you think it would be an array of strings and they randomly choose one of the strings in the array to print out.

Thanks. Just thought it was something fun to think about.

One simple way to approach implementing the text graphics display would be to read the words from the textfile. Then program a functionality that parse each character of the string and figure out which text sprite should correspond with its parsed character counter-part.

As for the image background that could just be a loaded image drawn on to the graphics context.

I wouldn't say there's much magic to it, entirely depends on the technique or specific thing you're talking about. Displaying messages, yes, you'd either have the strings in the code or load them from a file and randomly pick one, or pick one based on relatively random seeming constraints.

Technically a loading screen doesn't have to "be" anything, the main reason is that without providing some kind of visual feedback a user doesn't assume the game is loading, they may think it crashed or froze or something, plus its a bit of professionalism. In terms of Sacred it was probably just thrown in along with the other loading messages as a joke.

The XP data just comes from a Windows API call same for cpu speed nothing low level about this, CPU speed can also be calculated from QuerryPerformanceCounter in the Windows API.

http://code.google.com/p/dxengine/source/browse/trunk/src/BaseApplication.cpp look at the initialise function which asks the OS for some of this data.

This topic is 1512 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.