The great GD.net collaborative coding horror experiment? (...and the results are in!)

Started by
64 comments, last by Ganoosh 10 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if David Rosen himself is going to find this thread and contribute.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty
Advertisement

I wonder if David Rosen himself is going to find this thread and contribute.

For a minute I thought you meant the 83 year-old former CEO of SEGA.

Then I realised what spawned this thread.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This will be brilliant.

Just the vast amount of different coding styles alone will be interesting to see in one file. I get the sense we are going to see A TON of global variables.

Maybe I misread it somewhere but will their a end goal that we are to strive for? As in will what is added to the code actually be of "use" to the project? Or could I just say go and implement a simple/stupid game inside and force everyone to work around that?

My vote goes to add whatever you want. Just to see how scary what we end up producing would be...

I'd vote for doning this in Javascript or some other language that can be embedded into a page (python, ruby ??). That way the game and a built in editor could be embedded as a sticky at the top of the forum (similar to JSFiddle) so everybody could see live updates of the game.

Using ANSI C is cool and everything but I think as a more fun forum experiment live coding in the webpage would be a lot more fun.

Well, I've never coded Javascript in my life, so if we do decide for that language, I guess I can only contribute to its messiness. happy.png

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

Why don't we use HTML5 and Canvas?

I'd vote for doning this in Javascript or some other language that can be embedded into a page (python, ruby ??). That way the game and a built in editor could be embedded as a sticky at the top of the forum (similar to JSFiddle) so everybody could see live updates of the game.

Using ANSI C is cool and everything but I think as a more fun forum experiment live coding in the webpage would be a lot more fun.

Obviously, I agree with this. What better way to get horrible coding than with a language that people know enough to be dangerous in and can get instant feedback from. And who doesn't have Chrome, Firefox, or IE10?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This sounds awesome. I've been wanting to be more active on here/contribute to little projects and contests. This would be a great way without putting any stress or taking up a lot of any single person's time.

Nevermind this...

These are kind of conflicting if it's to be truly cross-platform and native. What about X calls on linux? And on Mac unless you launch from shell and use fullscreen only it's pretty close to impossible to have a game running without some Obj-C (unless you opt for X as well I suppose). I haven't done anything Windows in a very long time but I'm pretty sure you'd need some specific calls, HWND's and all that junk to get something running as well haha.

I think that should be the only area allowed to have those dependencies, just so it can get up and running.

Of course this wouldn't matter if it's browser based. Or Java.

Do you really think you need art for such an experiment? You could just generate some bitmaps in memory procedurally, which could add some interesting code.

+1

Procedural generation FTW.

All for procedural! =D

I prefer C/C++, but if it's all to be one file I think C would be better in this case. Somewhat cleaner, but also a little more challenging.

I don't have as much experience with browser-based langauges; never used Ruby, and only used Python when helping (doing lol) my gf in a programming class years ago.

Buuuut, I'd be down to play with any of them! All the more fun.

This would get around the dependencies and cross-platform concerns, and would be quicker to get up and running than something like Java, even if it only needs to be compiled once. The instant feedback argument is a strong one. Especially in a case like this.

Heck to the yes!

I'd vote for C++03 and SFML, though C99 and SDL would be my second choice. +1 for procedural.

I assume there's an implicit rule that you cannot add to the code (again) until someone else has? (so you don't add a commit, then immediately add another; you have to wait for someone else to add a commit before you can add another) Also, I don't know if you plan on keeping any kind of actual repo, but if you're not I wouldn't mind making a git repo and updating it with each post to keep a "proper" history.

And if this works well, can we please do this annually?

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This sounds awesome. I've been wanting to be more active on here/contribute to little projects and contests. This would be a great way without putting any stress or taking up a lot of any single person's time.

• Dependencies are limited to the standard library and the multimedia library only. No OS-specific calls
  • The code must compile on your platform of choice, and should strive to be cross platform
These are kind of conflicting if it's to be truly cross-platform and native. What about X calls on linux? And on Mac unless you launch from shell and use fullscreen only it's pretty close to impossible to have a game running without some Obj-C (unless you opt for X as well I suppose). I haven't done anything Windows in a very long time but I'm pretty sure you'd need some specific calls, HWND's and all that junk to get something running as well haha.
I think that should be the only area allowed to have those dependencies, just so it can get up and running.
Of course this wouldn't matter if it's browser based. Or Java.
With SFML like was originally proposed I am almost positive you can get a window up and running with the exact same code. For the most part if people use standard C++ calls and didn't get absolutely crazy with SFML(I think their are a few calls that act different on the different OS's) then it should compile just fine for everyone. I just migrated my SF code over to Linux from Windows and it compiled and ran without one problem. That's the beauty of SFML. How easy it is to get going with it and how easy it is to work with other OS's

Heck to the yes!

I'd vote for C++03 and SFML, though C99 and SDL would be my second choice. +1 for procedural.

I assume there's an implicit rule that you cannot add to the code (again) until someone else has? (so you don't add a commit, then immediately add another; you have to wait for someone else to add a commit before you can add another) Also, I don't know if you plan on keeping any kind of actual repo, but if you're not I wouldn't mind making a git repo and updating it with each post to keep a "proper" history.

+1 fot c++. although i am not opposed to using html5/javascript, it'll finally give me reason to learn canvas.
Also like the idea of not allowing double edits, have to live with what you create.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement