Sign in to follow this  
Adyrhan

Just released some small project that I have

Adyrhan    216

Hi guys! After a long time since I don't write c++ code I've recently decided to retake it. So, to learn again and refresh what I already knew I have written (well, rewritten) a new version of a simple file packaging tool that I have and I've decided to release it GPL'd.
It's here: https://github.com/16BITBoy/packitup
If you feel like to play with some code, please give it a look and tell me what you think and what could I do with it to improve my C++ skills. Thanks and happy hacking biggrin.png

Edited by Adyrhan

Zaoshi Kaba    8434

This is just my personal opinion and nothing constructive.

I hate boost, therefore I think this is a terrible idea to use boost for a library you're going to distribute. One of reasons is, to compile your 10 KB program I need to download 50+ MB boost libraries; that's just silly.

I noticed some weird things with your includes:

// you are using
#include <boost/unordered_map.hpp>

// but probably all compilers have unordered_map in Standard C++ Library (SCL)
#include <unordered_map>
// another boost include
#include <boost/filesystem.hpp>

// won't complain about this one, but kind of a tip
// Visual Studio 2013 has this include in SCL, don't know about other compilers
#include <filesystem>
using namespace std::tr2::sys;

Your PIUArchiveImpl::write() method (and others) print to standard output, that's unacceptable, use callbacks if output is possible.

Edited by Zaoshi Kaba

NightCreature83    5002

// another boost include

#include <filesystem>

Just to mention this but "#include <filesystem>" will probably only work on MSVC2013 as it is part of C++14 and nearly no-one has implemented those features yet let along the STD lib that goes with it.

Adyrhan    216

T

Adyrhan, you might want to fix that link... it's still got a facebook redirect attached to it.

Ooops I don't know how facebook got to be in that link :/ Now is fixed thanks :)

This is just my personal opinion and nothing constructive.

I hate boost, therefore I think this is a terrible idea to use boost for a library you're going to distribute. One of reasons is, to compile your 10 KB program I need to download 50+ MB boost libraries; that's just silly.

I noticed some weird things with your includes:

// you are using
#include <boost/unordered_map.hpp>

// but probably all compilers have unordered_map in Standard C++ Library (SCL)
#include <unordered_map>
// another boost include

#include <filesystem>

Your PIUArchiveImpl::write() method (and others) print to standard output, that's unacceptable, use callbacks if output is possible.

Thanks for your feedback Zaoshi, I'll take note of it. I know the download of boost is not something very pleasant to do, but since my system compiler is gcc 4.6 is not fully c++11, so for unordered_map and for boost::filesystem and some other more I had to use it. I'm a bit afraid of replacing the system compiler (I'm actually using ubuntu linux 12.04 in my dev computer) so I have to either upgrade my linux distro or find a way to have two compilers to coexist in a way that I don't have to alter the build system of the packages I want to compile to use the second one.