Is it bad to use tile like art if the character doesn't move in a grid like pattern?

Started by
5 comments, last by Shane C 10 years, 5 months ago

So say you got your run of the mill 2D game from the 80s to the early 90s. You can tell there are tile pieces used for each space. But instead of moving based in a grid say it's kind of free movement. Would that end up looking bad?

Advertisement
I don't see anything wrong with it. Environments are generally cut into tiles.

...No? Real life floors that aren't natural tend to "tile" anyway. I think it'd look just fine, and I'm actually having a tough time thinking of games that don't use tiling environment pieces. As long as the tileset and characters mesh (and honestly, they should anyway), you should have no issue!

It depends on game concept, end-user functionality, and art assets quality.

The best way to know for sure is to market test a demo of your game and get feedback from the end-users. Any other way is only guessing.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Before making a demo, one option might be to use your paint program to do a mock up of your tiled background and then paste your character onto that background and see how it looks.

As for keeping your character walking in a grid pattern (orthagonally) instead of any direction that you want, I found fewer programming and design challenges with orthagonal movement. But the over all appearance is more about art style and how well your art assets compliment each other.

Alright. Thanks for all the comments. I'll get my artist to do some tiles and a basic character and see how that will end up looking. For the character he wants to know what resolution and I don't know what to tell him. Should it be the same as the tile blocks or more so there can be more detail?

Alright. Thanks for all the comments. I'll get my artist to do some tiles and a basic character and see how that will end up looking. For the character he wants to know what resolution and I don't know what to tell him. Should it be the same as the tile blocks or more so there can be more detail?

Golden Sun and Zelda: A Link to the Past have characters of the same size. I would go with same size.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement