Real-time Global illumination for games discussion

Started by
3 comments, last by hgoel0974 10 years, 5 months ago
Hello.
1-If you have ever do researches in Global illumination for games(3D not 2D).Do you think it deserves to do researches in it, or move to another topic, which you may be think it's more important.
2-What are the skills needed to do global illumination research?
Note: Skills mean math and programming skills.

3-What are the current researches about global illumination for games?
Advertisement

1. Definitely worth looking at, there are so many techniques out there, each one with some advantages and disadvantages plus it gets you thinking about how you could improve the algorithms (because of how painfully slow many GI methods are)

2. Trig, basic understanding of rays, ray propogation, matrices, vectors, sometimes the very basics of calculus and that should get you through most algorithms

3. theres ray tracing, path tracing, voxel cone tracing, metropolis light transport, ambient occlussion, photon mapping

Based on my experience you can add GI on your engine.....but two goals are difficult to achieve:

1. Even if global illumination stays into the low frequency domain....make it convincing and temporal coherent it's hard

2. Make it fast is even harder

just my 2 cents

p.s.

Is it worth since it will "open" your brain :-)

Can you do great researches without have good background about computer hardware ( Graphics card ) and some background on electrical engineering ?

I read papers on the topic almost daily. Usually you can get by just fine and if there isn't anything you don't know, it probably isn't too technical for you to not be able to figure out via google. Take it like this, I'm in high school, I get by fine with the normal math you learn at school ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement