Visual studio 2013 hangs on opening certain projects?!

Started by
1 comment, last by Juliean 10 years, 5 months ago

Hello,

I've got the strangest of all issues yet, and its driving me mad! I recently upgraded to the newest visual studio RC, and it rocks (autoformating ftw) :D However, this all changed when, while compiling my project and browsing through some files, it suddently crashed. After that, it will now refuse to open most of my projects.

What happens is this: I'm opening the project, the MSVC-startup screen appears. The devenv-window opens, and after that, it just hangs. Taskmgr shows no increase in memory usage (30-40 MB), but full single-core CPU utilization (8% on my machine). Clicking on the window, the "visual studio is busy" message appears in the task bar. Its basically the same issues as reported by one user here, but it has appearently been turned down since they couldn't reproduce it. Now I've already spent countless hours trying to get it back to work. Since I'm using git, I already tried resetting the project to earlier states, without success. As it turns out, even newly created, empty solutions it can't open anymore! Even when opening a plain empty file called Something.sln, it will just hang, without issuing any error whatsoever, even after 15 minutes or so. Whats even stranger is that fact that it can open SOME projects, like a very old one that hasn't even been touched by visual studio 2012 so far (has been developed with 2010 version).

Next things I've tried: countless times repair installation, reinstallation, nothing. My other PC can still open the projects with the same version of VS2013, so there is at least no issues with the projects themselfs. I belive there is some file/setting that has been trashed, and I'm basically asking here if someone has experienced similar issues, and knows any solution? Appearently I can still open devenv as is, but e.g. using Tools->Reset all settings didn't do anything eigther. Any suggestions, I'm basically out of thoughs... :/

Advertisement

Well, given that it's an RC you should probably be making noise at Microsoft about it, because you've found a nasty bug. Since you clearly have the power to reproduce the problem at will, you may be able to help them figure out what's actually going wrong, especially if you can use an external debugger to help figure out where it's hanging at.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Well, given that it's an RC you should probably be making noise at Microsoft about it, because you've found a nasty bug. Since you clearly have the power to reproduce the problem at will, you may be able to help them figure out what's actually going wrong, especially if you can use an external debugger to help figure out where it's hanging at.

You are right, I've upd the ticket with all the info I have, but you know, I'd rather it'd work again, I've already lost 4 days of work due to this **** :/ Fortunately, I managed to fix it so far, system recovery did the job finally, though it took forever and a day (generic rant: Windows 8 blows). I quess if Microsoft needs some more information of me, I'd reset the system recovery...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement