Beginner need help

Started by
4 comments, last by Aliii 10 years, 5 months ago

Hi, this is my first time ever posting in a forum, and i need a bit of help. Am looking for resources that will help me build a 2D RPG game from scratch in c++, so how to make the engine and stuff with out needing to use 3rd party stuff. My current knowledge of c++ is the basics, I've been alternating in-between 3 beginners book called 'C++ Primmer Plus', 'C++ A Beginner's Guide' and 'C++ Programming For The Absolute Beginner'. I have no clue were to go from here to get to my goal to create this game. All help will be appreciated and i would like to thanks in advance everyone who helps me :)

Advertisement

how to make the engine and stuff with out needing to use 3rd party stuff

You don't want to bother. Many beginners have tried to make their first game without using 3rd party libraries, and failed quit miserably(including yours truly). A few people realized this was a problem, so they invented: SFML, SDL, and Allegro.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

You can say without an engine, but save yourself some trouble and use a library. Think of a library as a way to do some fairly common tasks, like getting input from a user, displaying something on a screen, etc. You still will be coding all the pieces of your game.

I have no clue were to go from here to get to my goal to create this game.
I suppose that you are also a beginner with game dev, ....not just with CPP. If Im wrong, dont read this:
Dont start with an RPG whether its 2D or 3D. If its a "proper" game then programming the engine itself is a huge work. Then write the rest of the game and the scripts on top of that. And all of that in CPP. Then create the art, maps, characters, sounds, etc.
Not that its not possible ....but you would probably be demotivated after the first 20% and it would be a struggle after that. Start with something smaller.
I guess by 3rd party stuff you mean GameMaker, Unity, etc. Welcome to the forums BTW.

Thanks for all the reply's, after reading all the comments i think that i dint word my original question well. what i want to know is how do i get to the stage of being able to do my own game engine from scratch, what resources (books, sites e.c.t) should i look at so that i can eventually have enough knowledge to do it. not saying i'll be doing it right now as am aware that my skills and knowledge on the subject are to low at current time. Also I am not easily disheartened as i enjoy a challenge and figuring out how to over come it. Once again though thanks for the reply's, they are appreciated.

what i want to know is how do i get to the stage of being able to do my own game engine from scratch, what resources (books, sites e.c.t) should i look at so that i can eventually have enough knowledge to do it.

This is not how it works. Or at least it shouldnt. If you just read books and tutorials and only "practice" for 2 years, so in the end you can start making a game engine from scratch ....that will suck. There wont be much motivation for you to keep going.

Im just saying that usually its more enjoyable to work on a game than on an engine. And if you work for a long time on an "engine" without anything pretty appearing on the screen ...it will become a struggle. (except if you are getting paid for it every month:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement