New to programming and need help with python/pygame graphics.

Started by
11 comments, last by Crazylegs830 10 years, 5 months ago

Hello, I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place. I have been developing games and programming with python for 4 days. And I am working on a very small, simple game and I am also using pygame aswell as blender and another simple modeling program. I have written all the code that I need I think and made some models , but how do I get my graphics to go scene by scene? I mean how do you show one scene, for example a menu and than bring it to the actual game?

Thanks for reading this.

Advertisement

Remove all objects in the first scene, and then add all the objects in the second scene. This would effectively put you in "scene 2", assuming that all your game logic runs on the objects themselves.

Beyond that, you should research simple state machines.

PS: Blender actually comes with an internal game engine, so you might want to give that a try (google Blender Game Engine).

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials -> http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +---------------------------------------------------------------------+

Ok thanks I think I understand ill try the blender game engine and try what you were talking about thanks ill get back to you on if I get it right. Any more help would be appreciated.

Alright I am not sure I understand if possible please explain more I am very new, Thanks.

When learning programming I actually started with Python. Then I found out about the different game libraries. Pygame was one of them. I got frustrated and started to look around more. The Blender Game engine is not set up that good. Unity3D costs too much to publish, however free it may be at first. I eventually found Maratis3D; been using it since.

For 2d games GAMEMAKER STUDIO, easy to use, but again, it costs to publish.

There is actually a separate library for creating menus with python (yes, I checked that out too) which is probably what you want to look into.

For pygame tutorials, you might want to check out these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6AB5A7BBDC915599

These are the best I could find. He also has basic python videos.

Hope this helps.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Thank you I will work on it and see what I can do.

I know how to create graphics but how do I make it go from scene to scene. I mean frame to frame. The game I am making is very small and would probably have a max of 10 frames.

Please help I am really stuck.

I remember using wxpython for making menus. You should be able to use both libraries at the same time.

wxpython is a library that makes menus using widgets.

I see someone has integrated them and posted a demo:

http://www.pygame.org/project-Pygame+embedded+in+wxPython-1580-2788.html

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

I am trying wxpython out and so far it is working great thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement