attempting to learn DarkBasic Pro, any help is greatly appreciated

Started by
3 comments, last by crysonfell 10 years, 5 months ago

Iv been studying the book, Hands On DarkBasic Pro Vol 1...and so far Iv understood pretty much everything. The only problem is that its such a large book (like 700 pages) Could anyone recommend a way to study it, so that I could master/remember it all?

Im not sure how I will put it all to use, if I cant remember everything. Or maybe Im not supposed to remember bit by bit, all 700 pages, but to look over what I need when I need? I would really like to do game design, but this has been a bit of a problem for me.

If anyone could tell me how I should proceed with this language, that would be really great. Thanks

Advertisement
I once read a 1072 page book called David Perry on Game Design in a few days. I skimmed pages, and kind of skipped the parts I didn't need to go back to them later. Also, it's important to use your full attention while reading so that you don't have to reread sentences 2-3 times to understand them.
I think this is a common problem and the best thing to do is slow down. I know probably not what you wanted to hear.

I'm not familiar with that book but I'm sure it's probably like most other language books. So what I'd recommend is as each new topic is introduced work through the sample code and problems no matter how trivial they seem. The primary reason being that you may be assuming that topic is easier than it is and when you start working with the code you quickly discover that there is a piece, maybe only one line that doesn't work like you thought. Through these trials and tribulations of working through the code your brain absorbs the information better allowing you to apply/recall it more easily.

The best way to learn is to just code like everything in the book and more. Create your own examples. It might now seem like much but it is very important. Now matter how trivial the examples and sample code seems, type it out. Try it on your own.

Think of it like how most people learn how to do math. By examples. If you just read the examples and don't try them out on your own chances are when it comes to actually doing it by yourself you will make a mistake or see you don't fully get it.

Learning programming or something related to Game Development takes time so don't worry about how fast to go through the book. Just make you fully understand do all the examples and the exercises before you continue. So just keep going.

Iv noticed, with the help of all your replies, that yeah I think the best way is to just try it out on my own as I go. Follow the examples, and to try things out for myself, and if I need something in specific, I would just look at the summary at the beginning of each chapter.

I also have the book as pdf on my ipad, so skimming to certain chapters/parts is easier. I think I can proceed now, thanks everyone for the advice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement