Sign in to follow this  
noatom

PIX debugging errors

So I attached the visual studio debugger to pix.When I run my app,using them,I get this error:

Unhandled exception at 0x6E94CE24 (PIXHelper.dll) in machine_test.exe.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x07A04000.

The line pointed is a line where a vertex buffer is being unlocked(after being locked).

If I run the app in release/debug mode WITHOUT pix,it runs fine.

Any ideeas?

PIX for Windows was never really stable. Most of the time it worked fine, but there were the occasional mysterious crashes and API call failures.

The VS2012 graphics debugger is more stable, if you have the option I suggest you give it a try.

Have you run your app with the DirectX debug runtime? (switch this on from the DirectX control panel). It provides additional validation that might point out where you're doing something illegal (in case that's behind your issue with PIX).

If you try to hook into the D3D lib calls pix will fail miserably as well. For example if it is a steam game, steam uses the same hooks that pix uses to draw their interface on top of the game, when you start both they fight and the game wont even run. So the hook messes with pix as well so if that is the case PIX is sadly not your tool.

You can offcourse use NVidia Nsight if on NVidia card or GPUPerfStudio for AMD cards.