Is it possible?

Started by
13 comments, last by D_a_n 10 years, 5 months ago

Hello guys, this is my first thread so excuse me if it's in the wrong section. I am interested in creating a game. I've read many topics about game engines, 2D and 3D stuff, but I still have some questions. Can I start making a game by myself (or like-minded people with me)? How much does it cost to make a game? If it needs a company with a entity and so, is there anyway that I can create a game for any platform (except mobile phones) bymyself (or with like-minded people)?

Thank you.

Advertisement

You can make a game, 2D games especially on your own and using all free tools.

For example you could use c++ as your langauge, SFML2 as your 2D library, QtCreator or Eclipse for your IDE, gimp for making 2D textures and art, and Tiled for map editing.

All those tools are completely free, and you can use gnu compilers as well ( mingw on windows ).

I highly recommend you learn to program well, before attempting to make graphical games, since they require a skilled programmer. When you do make it to graphical games, stick with 2d for a while and learn to write easily readable, highly maintainable, and extendable code.

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.2 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.2 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.2/

// Excellent 2d physics library Box2D

http://box2d.org/about/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

1. Can I start making a game by myself (or like-minded people with me)?
2. How much does it cost to make a game?
3. If it needs a company with a entity and so,
4. is there anyway that I can create a game for any platform (except mobile phones) bymyself (or with like-minded people)?

1. Yes.
2. It depends. Can you narrow the question down? Are you talking mobile, console, small downloadable game, AAA packaged game, MMOG? The Business forum gets questions about cost all the time (best to ask this there).
3. If you create a game by yourself, you don't necessarily need to create a company. But if you partner with others, then you really ought to. The Business forum gets questions like this all the time.
4. Yes. Can you narrow the question down some?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You can make a game, 2D games especially on your own and using all free tools.

For example you could use c++ as your langauge, SFML2 as your 2D library, QtCreator or Eclipse for your IDE, gimp for making 2D textures and art, and Tiled for map editing.

All those tools are completely free, and you can use gnu compilers as well ( mingw on windows ).

I highly recommend you learn to program well, before attempting to make graphical games, since they require a skilled programmer. When you do make it to graphical games, stick with 2d for a while and learn to write easily readable, highly maintainable, and extendable code.

Thanks for the reply. I've been learning some of the C languages for a couple of years, so I think they'll help me out.

4. is there anyway that I can create a game for any platform (except mobile phones) bymyself (or with like-minded people)?

1. Yes.
2. It depends. Can you narrow the question down? Are you talking mobile, console, small downloadable game, AAA packaged game, MMOG? The Business forum gets questions about cost all the time (best to ask this there).
3. If you create a game by yourself, you don't necessarily need to create a company. But if you partner with others, then you really ought to. The Business forum gets questions like this all the time.

Thanks for the reply!

2. I was talking about a Playstation or a PC game.

3. How can I know if I have the capability to create a game by myself and don't need to create a company?

4. Again, I was talking about a Playstation or a PC game.

Tom Sloper, on 28 Oct 2013 - 3:29 PM, said:

1. Yes.

3.a. How can I know if I have the capability to create a game by myself
3.b. and don't need to create a company?

2. Anywhere from half a million dollars to several million dollars.
3.a. Odd question, not quite sure how to answer this other than: Make a game. If you can, you have the capability. If you can't, you don't have the capability.
3.b. Questions about company formation are best asked in the Business forum, not here.
4. Yes, there is a way. For a PC game, just do it. For a Playstation game, they do have an indie-friendly program, but you'll still have to jump through some hoops. You have lots of road to travel before you come anywhere near that bridge.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper, on 28 Oct 2013 - 3:29 PM, said:

1. Yes.

3.a. How can I know if I have the capability to create a game by myself
3.b. and don't need to create a company?

2. Anywhere from half a million dollars to several million dollars.
3.a. Odd question, not quite sure how to answer this other than: Make a game. If you can, you have the capability. If you can't, you don't have the capability.
3.b. Questions about company formation are best asked in the Business forum, not here.
4. Yes, there is a way. For a PC game, just do it. For a Playstation game, they do have an indie-friendly program, but you'll still have to jump through some hoops. You have lots of road to travel before you come anywhere near that bridge.

2. Isn't there a way to make a low-budget game that doesn't cost that much?

3.a. Thanks, I will try.

3.b. I will ask there, thank you.

4. Regarding PC games, what did you mean by 'just do it'? Regarding a Playstation game, how can I know more about the indie-friendly program and what kind of roads should I travel before I get to this point? Also, as far as I know, Sony needs a certified company with an entity to gain it access to dev kit and so, is that right or can a stand-alone developer gain this too?

4. Regarding PC games, what did you mean by 'just do it'? Regarding a Playstation game, how can I know more about the indie-friendly program and what kind of roads should I travel before I get to this point? Also, as far as I know, Sony needs a certified company with an entity to gain it access to dev kit and so, is that right or can a stand-alone developer gain this too?

You can create a game for absolutely no cost; if you mean monetary cost. If you consider your own hours as a cost (what you should) you could create a game that cost only work-hours. I'm talking about PC games, since they don't require licenses to develop.

Playstation games can be a bit trickier since you'll need a formal company (I think there's no way around this).

It'll also depend on what country you live in.

It'd be wise to have some showcase games; probably PC games (easier to build), in order to show them for the certification.

I have read their submission forms and they ask for a Resumé with pretty specific info like "Prior Development Experience" and, worse, "product catalog"

For more info, go there.

You can create a game for absolutely no cost; if you mean monetary cost. If you consider your own hours as a cost (what you should) you could create a game that cost only work-hours. I'm talking about PC games, since they don't require licenses to develop.

Playstation games can be a bit trickier since you'll need a formal company (I think there's no way around this).

It'll also depend on what country you live in.

It'd be wise to have some showcase games; probably PC games (easier to build), in order to show them for the certification.

I have read their submission forms and they ask for a Resumé with pretty specific info like "Prior Development Experience" and, worse, "product catalog"

For more info, go there.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll go with the PC games, but I need to start off with Android applications/games, does an app cost much to make?

but I need to start off with Android applications/games, does an app cost much to make?

No, absolutely not. You can download the Android SDK including developer tools and emulator from here, which costs exactly nothing. You don't even strictly need to own an Android device.

But of course, it's still not "free" because you must invest weeks/months for learning (above all, Java programming). A game doesn't just drop from the sky. On the other hand, don't be discouraged, many people have gone that way before.

I think you should just try. You said you programmed C already.

You are just missing the basic knowledge about starting a game compared to some other program.

You can easily read up on what a gameloop is, that you get input, update game logic and then draw. Now start with something really simple like tic-tac-toe with character output on PC. On first try it may take a week of repeatedly gathering knowledge for an hour then writing 2 lines of code, next time it will be faster.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement