Sign in to follow this  
Vanz

Diplomacy game question

I'm working on an medieval empire strategy game and was wondering how to best handle the following diplomacy situation:

I give another empire a certain amount of gold to improve his diplomatic disposition toward me, what should matter more:

1. The amount of gold he receives relative to his wealth?

2. The amount of gold he receives relative to my wealth?

In other words if someone gave you a bunch of money would it mean more to you if they were poorer, you see it as more of a sacrifice on their part or would it mean more to you if you were poorer, the money they gave you had a more immediate impact to your current situation?

Thanks,

rh

Both ideas can be exploited easily. If I just spend all my money on something, giving my last coin to the enemy would be like giving him/her 100% of my wealth and vice versa.

Maybe you could use some kind of empire score, if your score is lower you need more money to bribe them, if its way higher they better start paying you!

PS: I think there is a game design sub forum for those kind of questions.

Both ideas can be exploited easily. If I just spend all my money on something, giving my last coin to the enemy would be like giving him/her 100% of my wealth and vice versa.

Maybe you could use some kind of empire score, if your score is lower you need more money to bribe them, if its way higher they better start paying you!

PS: I think there is a game design sub forum for those kind of questions.

Yes, yes it's based on your entire wealth or what I calc as "Empire strength", calc based on just your gold at the time would be an easy exploit fa sure...

I'm think at this point is it should be a factor of both, maybe 50-50, not sure... maybe 70-30 in favor of #2 above...

I'm working on an medieval empire strategy game and was wondering how to best handle the following diplomacy situation:

I give another empire a certain amount of gold to improve his diplomatic disposition toward me, what should matter more:

Assuming your empire AI isn't a simulated naive idiot that can be fooled with gifts, what you are really doing is paying the other empire the highest "protection" fee they can make you pay; because it's in your best interest, not to improve their "disposition".

The optimal amount of extortion/bribery to ask is slightly less than the cost of not paying, which depends on the political, geographical, military situation but only in exceptional cases from your wealth or their wealth. Realistic cost components could include:

• the cost of a war against them

• loss of trade profits (and taxes on them)

• loss of necessary imported trade goods, e.g. lack of lumber delays ship constructions and permanently damages your colonial expansion or your naval wars

• losing economic benefits, e.g. rights to use a port or to let your caravans cross their lands

• the damage from special acts of revenge, e.g. building dams to deprive you of water because they happen to be upstream along your main rivers

• sustaining the full cost of some enterprise you could share with the other empire, e.g. a military campaign against a common enemy

If you really want the AI to operate in terms of good and bad disposition or trust and treachery instead of caring for concrete wealth, use more medieval methods: exchanging hostages, signing treaties, arranging marriages between royalty, bribing/sabotaging/blackmailing/assassinating individuals in power, etc.