Sign in to follow this  
RonDonRon

Your Average Beginner Game Maker

RonDonRon    712
Hey guys,
I'm very interested getting into game development when I am older.
And I would like to make my own game.

What are some good programs I could use to make games using java or c++ language?

Aliii    1456

make games using java or c++ language?

Those are just languages. You need at least a compiler and an IDE. You also need to use a graphics and sound API ....or use an existing engine/game maker tool.

Dragonsoulj    3212

RonDonRon, on 28 Oct 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

make games using java or c++ language?

Those are just languages. You need at least a compiler and an IDE.

What are some good programs I could use to make games using java or c++ language?

I believe RonDonRon was asking about compilers and such. At least that was what I gathered with the "what are some good programs I could use" portion.

At minimum, I'd say some editor, be it something like Notepad, GEdit, or one built into an IDE, as well as a compiler for the language you choose. For both of your languages, Eclipse comes to mind. If you just wish to use one of those languages, look through the downloads list on the Eclipse website. It's free to use.

Depending on what kind of game you want to make, you will need to find some sort of graphics library and audio library. For C++, SDL, SFML, and Allegro could be potential options. I haven't messed with Java in quite a while, but I'm sure when you do decide, you can ask a more pointed question on here about the libraries. My advice is take manageable steps, doing a few programs using the terminal/command line before you dive into graphics and windowed programs. Once you get a grasp of the language, then get your feet wet with the rest.

LennyLen    5715

Something you could also look into straight away are game creation tools like Game Maker.  They do impose limits on what can be done but it can be a good way to quickly get some results and they generally come with some sort of scripting language you can muck around with to learn some of the basic concepts.

RonDonRon    712

I have used gamemaker before and i have also made some flash games. 

any good tutorials i could look at for visual studio to make a game engine?

Edited by RonDonRon