Basic Development Workflow in UDK/Unity/CryEngine

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 10 years, 5 months ago

Hi guys, I am totally new to 3D game development but not to C++ and Autodesk Maya so I think it will boost my learning of the three game engines specially Unreal which I find pleasing and awesome when I played with the code.

But unfortunately, I really do not know the game development workflow for this games being a solo developer. I know I whould start with planning the game but what is next? asset creation then what is next? I really do not know. Is it the same with 2D development such as XNA and MonoGame? If you have opinions, please post it here to help me and I will choose which is the most suitable workflow for me. thanks

I am a beginner in game development and UnrealScript so please go easy on me. tnx.

Advertisement

Workflow?

I'd start with a game skeleton, just placeholder art, nothing final.

Something I find works in Unity for solo is to just describe a very basic and tiny idea with a few sentences, then prototype it. Then you add another idea, prototype it. I.e. this way you don't write the design document in advance, but write it along with the game. The advantage is you will not waste time on designing things you'll never implement, and you will immediately spot problems. Of course, in a team environment, this might not be as appropriate (your mileage may vary).

For small teams, a bullet-point task list (ala trello) and weekly meetings work better than documentation imho.

Thanks for all the reply guys specially @Petter Hansson! I write my documents in advance so I will not forget a thing but some of them just go junk and you suggestion will make me save time! Thanks

I am a beginner in game development and UnrealScript so please go easy on me. tnx.

Does not belong in Game Design. Moving elsewhere.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement