Windows 7 and Windows 8 for Game Programming

Started by
4 comments, last by xenobrain 10 years, 5 months ago

Hey evryone,

Straight to the point, forget about WIndows store, Window Phone 8 and Windows 8 tablets for a minute. I have a medium of level of game programming knowledge using C++ and Direct X, so my question is, Is games for the PC's even relevant anymore? Can I still target the PC market and make games people will enjoy without using the likes of the Windows Store. Most games I see on there are really not that graphic intense. Say for instance I make a small shooter for a windows machine, compile it and get an .exe file, will this still be able to run on WIndows 8 machines.

I use to sit for hours in a day learning game programming using C++, never really got anywhere with it and decided to move on to mobile, being Android, and although I like the idea of making little apps and getting the results out quicker, self publishing, I really am not to keen on Java when it come to games programming.

So basically I want to know is if the market and want is still kicking for PC games, with traditional C++. SInce I struggled to learn it.

Advertisement

Is games for the PC's even relevant anymore?

Yes.

According to Wikipedia we are rapidly approaching 2 billion personal computers in use globally. Not a total of 2 billion computers sold since the 1970s, but personal computers in active use.

If you create a broad market game you have a potential customer base of perhaps 1/7 of Earth's population.

The rate of home computer purchases is still trending upward. More people are buying laptops for themselves and their children, and that means more potential customers as well.

So I can still create a pure C++ game and it will be able to play on Windows 8 and WIndows 7 as an executable.

Yes of course. You can make games with C++ for Win7 and Win8 just fine. The whole "the sky is falling" effect around PC market and Windows 8 being "bad for games" is just blatant lies.

Thanks guys you have been very helpful,. I just have one last question, For PC games I know I can self publish, but is there anywhere besides Steam that I can host my game so other could download and potentially buy. Like a PC games marketplace, besides the Windows Store.

Say for instance I make a small shooter for a windows machine, compile it and get an .exe file, will this still be able to run on WIndows 8 machines.

Yes. As far as I can tell, there does not appear to be a significant amount of desktop users demanding that apps appear on the Windows Store. It appears to remain a viable target for now.

I use to sit for hours in a day learning game programming using C++, never really got anywhere with it and decided to move on to mobile, being Android, and although I like the idea of making little apps and getting the results out quicker, self publishing, I really am not to keen on Java when it come to games programming.

So you're saying didn't get anywhere with development until you reduced your scope? You don't need to target a mobile platform for that. Desktop users like smaller, casual games too.

This day and age however, it makes sense to target as many platforms as possible. It's even practical too since there's so many crossplatform tools that make it easy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement