Fixing your own problems

Started by
19 comments, last by latch 10 years, 5 months ago

So I just had this happened to me so I had to ask. How many times have some of y'all have been having a weird problem in your code and you just needed to get some help. So you come here to post a question and while typing out the question, explaining what you want, and providing some code you immediately see your issue and can fix it yourself?

Yep that just happened to me. Couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was on it for about an hour looking at code and debugging and couldn't find anything and it seemed so simple. So I came here to type out a question and explaining what in theory thought should be happening I immediately saw my issue. Fixed it in my code and sure enough bam it runs as desired. Well at least I caught it before I clicked post so I didn't look too dumb.

How many times has this or something similar happened to you?

Advertisement

Happen to me alll the time. laugh.png

link1

link2

There's been a few times I figured on asking for help with a problem here. Before I actually do though I try to think of the various questions that I figure are going to be asked because I don't want to sound like I'm too lazy to look for the answer myself or otherwise miss something obvious. Usually some avenue I haven't explored comes to mind which I check out and results in not needing to ask my question anymore.

Happens to me too.
My current game project Platform RPG

It happens all the time. The reason you don't find the answer is that while you think you have a proper understanding of the problem at hand, you actually don't. While trying to explain it to someone else you actually gain new insights into it and sometimes you also find the answer in there.

Happens to me all the time. Trying to put the problem into words really helps pinpoint the underlying issue in my experience.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Never, because I had never asked for help with actual code.

But taking a walk with my cat sometimes gives me fresh look at the problem and find potential resolves for problems.

And its not a problem at all if it tooks one hour to resolve it, for me finding serious bugs tooks even several weeks... :)

Often just the process of putting the problem into a statement meant for someone else to understand is enough for it to click for you as well.

Never, because I had never asked for help with actual code.

Then you're likely a horribly inefficient programmer. Just to be clear to any new programmers who might be reading this:

Not asking for help is not something to be proud of and it's not something your should strive to achieve. Every industry is built on sharing in the knowledge of others and to not take advantage of that is doing yourself and (if you're employed) your employer a huge disservice. Sure, you might feel great after struggling with a problem all day and finally cracking it all by yourself, but I've solved that problem with the help of others many hours ago and I'm well on my way to getting a lot of other stuff done.

Happens to me all the time. Trying to put the problem into words really helps pinpoint the underlying issue in my experience.

Same for me.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement