• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
retsgorf297

Opengl ?.x and what Tutorial

This topic is 2114 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Think it like this:

Don't think of whatever is available today. OpenGL 4.3 or OpenGL 4.4? Yeah, only a handful of cards, no point in learning it right? Well not exactly...

The process of learning isn't instantaneous, and, for example, advanced global illumination techniques isn't something you're going to code next month precisely. What I mean is that by the time you get to learn, know and use effectively say, OpenGL 4 features, probably there will be many cards supporting it on the market.

And in the case that you do get to be a great OpenGL coder that knows how to use all the advanced features of OpenGL 4+ and still its uncommon in the market, it is very likely that with that knowledge you could knock off an OpenGL 3 port without a sweat.

Don't decide stuff like this from a "right now" perspective (this is specially true dealing with rapid evolving technology!), try to think with a bit of foresight.

My 2 cents.

Advertisement

Let me reiterate what I said - as long as it's programmable pipeline, it doesn't matter which API version you choose.

Let's say you decide to start with OGL 4.4.

The first tutorial will probably be on how to create a glContext, same for all API>3.0.

The second tutorial will be about clearing the screen. Same for all API>3.0.

The 10th tutorial will probably be some kind of cube with simple shaders. Same for all API>3.0.

It's going to be at least 50 tutorials before you get to OGL 4.0 features. It's like asking 'should I start with DX10 or DX11'? which is irrelevant question.

You should start at the beginning - which is the same for every GL version > 3.0.

@Carducci  Yeah, I get that.  But, since 4.x just adds more features, wouldn't it be better to learn those a long with it, instead of learning something older so you can switch to the newer one easier?

The basics of opengl 3.x and 4.x are the same if you use the programmable pipeline. The features are nice, but if you are beginning with opengl you aren't going to use them in while. It is more important that you learn the basics of the programmable pipeline. If you understand this it is very easy to switch to a newer opengl version with feature you want to learn.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!