• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alpha_ProgDes

PUTT People's Choice Award and Comments

20 posts in this topic

To me, it was between Noctumus, Lucentbeam and Segmented...

Segmented--Definitely an awesome throwback to the days of text-based games ^_^.  That's one of the biggest things that I liked about this, as I said in the other thread--you showed you don't need to have graphics detailed enough to count the hairs on a rats @$$ in order to have a great game. Liked your whole matrix theme.

Lucentbeam--Your controls leave a lot to be desired, but aside from the Sticky Keys prompt, I can get over it.  Your game was probably the most original spin on a decades-old concept.  And I like your sense of humor.  (Grandfather... clock... ba-zinga! [courtesy of Sheldon Cooper])

Noctumus, Yours was a good, smooth game, good cartoonish graphics (I'm a fan of that, myself) and had one pain-in-the-ass power-up.:-P Liked it a lot.

Unfortunately, I didn't really think Segmented fit the Time theme (just my personal opinion)...  And, while I think Lucentbeam's game was definitely the best spin on the Time theme and arguably better gameplay (again, just my opinion), there was no win condition I could identify.  So, I've gota give my vote to Noctumus.

Unfortunately, I didn't really think Segmented fit the Time theme (just my personal opinion)...

Haha, I was worried that "network time" and the whole ping thing might be too much of a stretch. smile.png Hope it still counts for the mandatory points tho =) Glad you liked the style, thanks for the feedback. smile.png

Hey thanks for taking the time to check out some of the games and share your experience. For Staunsholm's game you should try the online version.

The online version was cool. I liked the moving background and the music. I didn't see any powerups though. The Top and Bottom Borders are hard to discern as well.

Hey thanks for taking the time to check out some of the games and share your experience.

And thank you for being such a good sport. smile.png

I tried the compiled version, but unfortunately it is not working for me on Windows 8. It dies immediately, and doesn't produce an error message, even from the console.

And thank you for being such a good sport. smile.png

I tried the compiled version, but unfortunately it is not working for me on Windows 8. It dies immediately, and doesn't produce an error message, even from the console.

The problem is that everybody else just needs to be on Linux like me! lol

Well, I got trigger happy about sharing the exe, and I failed to realize that it needs to be placed inside of the StickBall repo folder with all the media and code and stuff in order to work. I am going to repackage it completely, but if you've already cloned from github, placing main.exe inside the StickBall folder ought to make it work.

EDIT: StickBall is now fully packaged with the executable and the dependent files: StickBallClone-master.zip

Edited by ml_

For those interested in playing the final package that was made for my game, but don't have a Mac, this is it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7949526/lucentbeam.putt.win32.final.zip

This was the final version that made it to the Mac app, I just didn't have a chance to sit down at a Windows computer and compile it until after the weekend. The win/loss screens are minimal, but at least there. That's the primary difference.

For those interested in playing the final package that was made for my game, but don't have a Mac, this is it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7949526/lucentbeam.putt.win32.final.zip

Yours is among those I have not played yet. I will try it out later today when I have access to a PC.

I am going to repackage it completely, but if you've already cloned from github, placing main.exe inside the StickBall folder ought to make it work.

It does! Cool game smile.png

Thanks, glad to hear it worked!

Hello all.

Unfortunately, some of the judges have had RL happen and have not gotten to judge all of the entries. So I'm going to have to delay the results until the 17th. I know it's awhile. But you know... things happen. Thanks, for your patience.

Thank you @riuthamus for your scorecards. Even though my game apparently didn't make the cut, I was cheering for all the other guys as I read over your scoring and comments.

Let's see here.... it is now November 17th, so I guess this means that any minute now like seven more judges are going to be suddenly posting all kinds of scores and results. It would be really cool to see some more judge scorecards.

This has been a great competition with a really great concept, and lots of fantastic entries. Thanks to gamedev.net and Alpha_ProgDes for putting it together.

Some of the other contestants have mentioned the possibility of working together on a future project as a team, and I would say definitely count me in. My ideal game development dream team would include all of the participants in this contest, including zomgbie, wintertime, Noctumus, Aspirer, crow007, segmented, shadowisadog, Mippy, LucentBeam, vortex, staunsholm... everyone. Or at least as many as possible. Just imagine what we could create if we made something together. This brings me to an important question:

If such a dream team were to be formed, what type of programming language would be best to work in?...

My vote would be pixi.js, which is basically a javascript game engine which works in all browsers as well as working on mobile devices (if configured properly).

I created a simple website with a bunch of pixi.js examples which should work in any browser, and some of the examples work on iPhone Android etc. Just viewing the source code on some of the examples should provide a basic overview of pixi.js, but if you want a more detailed look, here is the github version. Pixi could be an interesting platform for developing a team project. I would also be down to work on a different platform if people have other preferences.

Also, what would the game concept be? I would say that simple is better than complex..... although.... it might be cool to make a platformer.... or a RealTimeStrategy game........

Does anyone have any game concept ideas to share?

Edited by ml_

Thank you @riuthamus for your scorecards. Even though my game apparently didn't make the cut, I was cheering for all the other guys as I read over your scoring and comments.

Let's see here.... it is now November 17th, so I guess this means that any minute now like seven more judges are going to be suddenly posting all kinds of scores and results. It would be really cool to see some more judge scorecards.

This has been a great competition with a really great concept, and lots of fantastic entries. Thanks to gamedev.net and Alpha_ProgDes for putting it together.

Some of the other contestants have mentioned the possibility of working together on a future project as a team, and I would say definitely count me in. My ideal game development dream team would include all of the participants in this contest, including zomgbie, wintertime, Noctumus, Aspirer, crow007, segmented, shadowisadog, Mippy, LucentBeam, vortex, staunsholm... everyone. Or at least as many as possible. Just imagine what we could create if we made something together. This brings me to an important question:

If such a dream team were to be formed, what type of programming language would be best to work in?...

My vote would be pixi.js, which is basically a javascript game engine which works in all browsers as well as working on mobile devices (if configured properly).

I created a simple website with a bunch of pixi.js examples which should work in any browser, and some of the examples work on iPhone Android etc. Just viewing the source code on some of the examples should provide a basic overview of pixi.js, but if you want a more detailed look, here is the github version. Pixi could be an interesting platform for developing a team project. I would also be down to work on a different platform if people have other preferences.

Also, what would the game concept be? I would say that simple is better than complex..... although.... it might be cool to make a platformer.... or a RealTimeStrategy game........

Does anyone have any game concept ideas to share?

I'm definitely interested in a team project.  I'd be okay with learning pixi.js; I've been using Unity, so of course that's my favored option.  In terms of general programming, I've got experience in C++ and C# (though my game-dev knowledge with them is essentially nil.)  In terms of projects, I'm down for anything (nothing too simple, I prefer to gain something with each game).  Anyway, just so we're not clogging this topic up, go ahead and message or email me if you're interested.

I'd be interested in a team project, too. Like Aspirer, I like to learn something new with a game... But that being said, there's a lot I can learn. I have only really used C++ and python, and I'd be happy to branch out. I've also never really used much version control (just very basic mercury), and have never been a part of a team project, so just being a part of something is already a win on my end.