• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
satanir

Unity Samples framework - should I write my own?

This topic is 2181 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In the beginning there was DXUT11. To that I added my own material system, effect system, state and resource management. Then ASSIMP and my custom mesh class. Then tweak DXUT to work with VS2012, fix some bugs. Most of this stuff was done ad-hoc, so the design is not as good as I want it to be.

After 3 years, I think it's about time to switch framework. DXUT is EOL, and the only thing I'm really using is the initialization and camera classes - both really easy to implement.

Question is - should I implement my own? Why not use an open-source one?

That's actually more of a general community question, seeing that a lot of experienced programmers write their own framework(MJP, Humus and a bunch more). NVidia's samples, in contrast, use vanilla DXUT.

I understand that writing a framework on your own is a good exercise in coding, design and SW architecture. As an experienced SW engineer, I've done my share of all of that.

So, any reason for an experienced graphics SW engineer to create his own framework?

(I'll probably end up implementing my own. Stupid matter of pride).

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!