• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Antonios

Which programmer is responsible?

This topic is 2085 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In various games who is responsible from the dev team for making the weapons fire, magic spells execute, bullets firing from guns etc?

Advertisement

Are there any specific requirements for the job description of gameplay programmer? Any defacto knowledge that is considered to be standard?

Basic 3D math, logical deduction, how to use common-ground tools like Excel, and a decent sense of game design are pretty common requirements as well.

My impression is gameplay programmers need to be perfectionists, and have a sickly desire to tweak code and values ad-infinitum until the game subjectively "feels good" according to someone's vision. At least engine programmers don't have to deal with subjectivity to that amount, though they still need to be perfectionists.

It was a stage, fortunately.

Edit: To elaborate, I'm now doing engine programming instead. I appreciate it because there are objective measures on how good my work is. If I reduce CPU usage on the MMO server I'm developing for a certain amount of players by 50% without making the code unreadable or introducing weird bugs it's an undeniable improvement and I will not be asked to revert it. When I was doing gameplay programming for a multiplayer online game it would frequently be like "this character needs shoes, please change the Unity prefab object and scripts to accomodate the new model and attachable objects". After being done a few hours later: "revert the change, it didn't look as good as we thought".

Doing gameplay programming strictly as a hobby again.

Edited by Petter Hansson

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!