• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How do i start a game project?

This topic is 1535 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So i'm studying Development and System analysis  but i love game development, games today are trash they only want our money and i want to change this by my own.

I'd like to know where i should start to create a 2d isometric mmorpg like tibia and i have some questions:

--Should i connect a programming language with Directx or OpenGL?
--How do i connect the MapEditor, Server and the Game?

--What is SDL?

I don't have any language in my head, so if have any book that explain all the basic topics fell free to share it,
Thanks

Advertisement

I've made 2 games ahahah but single player and very simple anyways i saw videos of game developers and i love it.
Tibia was an example  I will not develop all that features at once I just  want a basic like walking, simple interface, an simple map editor, connect to db, simple network... things like this....

any books '-'?

Edited by VenomLust

I'm looking at the index and it actually looks like a very solid book. You might want to hear from members who have read it but by just looking at the index it is actually exactly what you need.

The reviews are looking quite good too; I think i'm going to buy it myself. Thank you for the suggestion tongue.png

Edited by PragmaOnce

One difference between OpenGL and DirectX (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that DirectX is native to Microsoft platforms. While OpenGL also runs on Macs, Linux etc.

though instead of writing your own graphics engine, you may want to use an existing engine, of which many are free, which would free you of some of the harder work.

I don't understand why so many beginner posts are voted down for asking seemingly beginner questions

So, I just voted up..

I wouldn't want to keep members that keeps voting down beginners, (almost) no matter what the question.

EDIT: Also, the directX vs openGL question (when the time comes) can be ignored, simply because it's much more effective programming to use a library

I personally chose the raw OpenGL route.. because I wanted to create engines, not games :S

Either way, you learn the same skills: Graphics programming.. It's mostly the same these days

Edited by Kaptein

I read that book and i really don't like it, is totally outdated.
i learn with  a souce code and what every line do, anyone can give me another option tutorial series or open source game ?

Hmm. Okay if you learn by looking at source code then your best bet is probably online tutorials. But you are going to need to give me more information.

- What language do you want it to be in?

- How experienced are you in that specific language?

- Do you want to create your own engine or do you want to use an existing one?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement