How do i start a game project?

Started by
11 comments, last by minibutmany 10 years, 5 months ago

So i'm studying Development and System analysis but i love game development, games today are trash they only want our money and i want to change this by my own.

I'd like to know where i should start to create a 2d isometric mmorpg like tibia and i have some questions:

--Should i connect a programming language with Directx or OpenGL?
--How do i connect the MapEditor, Server and the Game?

--What is SDL?

I don't have any language in my head, so if have any book that explain all the basic topics fell free to share it,
Thanks

Advertisement

I am a bit confused, you say you "love game development". Does this mean you have previous experience programming games or do you mean you like the idea of game development?

Anyway that aside, I went ahead and looked at Tibia. The company owning tibia have the following requirements for a job as a software engineer:

• Completed a computer science degree or equivalent training
  • Very good knowledge of object oriented programming (C + +, C #, Java)
  • Good knowledge of software design, algorithms and data structures
  • Good knowledge of databases and network programming

On a game like Tibia there will probably be more than one programmer so the work will be distributed along them. If you want to "start to create a 2d isometric mmorpg like tibia" you are going need to be on par with those points and it will take you a lot longer since you are only one person. Why did I post this? Because a lot of people new to game development think that they can achieve miracles in a short period of time. The reality is you are going to spend a lot of time learning a programming language, a lot of time learning new technologies and libraries and a lot of time about game structuring and architecture. It's a hell of a thing.

The purpose of this post is not to demotivate you, you can surely get to that point. But you are going to have to start smaller. Learn through experience and use that experience to build bigger projects.

As I said, I don't know what your experience is when it comes to game development, or even programming. So maybe I am wrong and you know exactly what you are doing, thus I will just answer the questions you gave:

1) You will find arguments on every post on which is better to use, do some beginner tutorials with each one and decide on that.

2) The map editor will probably save the data in a user file format and the game engine will read the data. Sorry, I don't know anything about networks and games.

3) SDL -> Simple Direct Media layer, it's a library that allows you to program games by giving you modules to easily display graphics and other game related functions

I've made 2 games ahahah but single player and very simple anyways i saw videos of game developers and i love it.
Tibia was an example I will not develop all that features at once I just want a basic like walking, simple interface, an simple map editor, connect to db, simple network... things like this....

any books '-'?

Ah okay good. You probably won't find any books that go into game play specific implementations like walking. But two books I would recommend are:

- Game Coding Complete: http://www.amazon.com/Game-Coding-Complete-Fourth-Edition/dp/1133776574

- Game Engine Architecture: http://www.amazon.com/Game-Engine-Architecture-Jason-Gregory/dp/1568814135

I bought these two books and at the time the topics covered were way over my head. But after I worked a bit on projects they became very useful. Unfortunately they don't cover a lot of depth in terms of networks.

I found this one
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Playing-DirectX-Development-Series/dp/159200315X

what about?

I'm looking at the index and it actually looks like a very solid book. You might want to hear from members who have read it but by just looking at the index it is actually exactly what you need.

The reviews are looking quite good too; I think i'm going to buy it myself. Thank you for the suggestion tongue.png

One difference between OpenGL and DirectX (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that DirectX is native to Microsoft platforms. While OpenGL also runs on Macs, Linux etc.

though instead of writing your own graphics engine, you may want to use an existing engine, of which many are free, which would free you of some of the harder work.

I don't understand why so many beginner posts are voted down for asking seemingly beginner questions

So, I just voted up..

I wouldn't want to keep members that keeps voting down beginners, (almost) no matter what the question.

EDIT: Also, the directX vs openGL question (when the time comes) can be ignored, simply because it's much more effective programming to use a library

I personally chose the raw OpenGL route.. because I wanted to create engines, not games :S

Either way, you learn the same skills: Graphics programming.. It's mostly the same these days

I read that book and i really don't like it, is totally outdated.
i learn with a souce code and what every line do, anyone can give me another option tutorial series or open source game ?

Hmm. Okay if you learn by looking at source code then your best bet is probably online tutorials. But you are going to need to give me more information.

- What language do you want it to be in?

- How experienced are you in that specific language?

- Do you want to create your own engine or do you want to use an existing one?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement