My head hurts........Need ideas

Started by
14 comments, last by Jim Woods 10 years, 5 months ago

Hey everyone, I am trying to wrap my head around my idea and figure out how to package it. My "game" is really very simple. Its a choose your path, you decide the ending type of app.

Is it an app? Not really, I guess. Is it a game? Not really, I guess

Its a deep story about an american mafia soldier who has climbed the ranks of the chicago mob in the last 15 years and finally got bumped up. At this time you take the story over and decide the moves for you and your street crew.

In my head it is 100's of single cut scenes (static, simple, simple graphics) and you are presented 2-3-4 choices and you wander through the story.

Its NOT a walking dead (million dollar project) but is the same thing, killer story line with end user choices.

How do YOU go about this project?

Advertisement

If I got your idea correctly, it would be a game like radical dreamers (a CT sequence for Snes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_Dreamers:_Nusumenai_H%C5%8Dseki

The problem is that it has very restricted game play, very few people will enjoy it. For instance, I love chrono trigger (the game before), really do. I played hundreds of hours of it, helped translating it to my country's language (the second version), played the fan translated version, the PS version and the DS version. Still I could not stand more than 20 minutes of Radical Dreamers.

Long story short:

Some people enjoy those kind of games, but I have nerver seen it being popular and I personally don't enjoy the genre as well.

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

Sounds more like interactive drama than a true game, but still it has potential. Are there no screen where you could insert some simple game-play mechanics? Targeting/shooting something, maybe fighting someone and so on?

Sounds more like interactive drama than a true game, but still it has potential. Are there no screen where you could insert some simple game-play mechanics? Targeting/shooting something, maybe fighting someone and so on?

Yes, thank you. I was having a heck of a time describing it. Its not a game by what we think games are. Its main focus is the deep story line and the insatiable love affair with the american mob over the last 50 years by the public.

I see it as a simplified walking dead, in the way the story is told and you are asked to make decisions.

Paperback books are not very interactive but there are billions of them sold every year, thats my take on it anyways.

My idea was to give everyone the ability to be a gangster and call the shots all while sitting in a 3 pc suit with your feet up on the desk.

lol

It sounds like you need to start developing the flow of your "Interactive Drama". Starting a flow chart for your storyline would probably be the best option to keep you organized and on track.

You can develop your story by adding different actions in certain situations that would take the drama in a whole new direction, possibly giving everyone a completely different experience that theoretically no other person could end up with unless they chose every single option the previous interactee had. The idea of this is an amazing concept, however it takes a lot of time and dedication to come up with, and then produce every single possible option to 100s of different situations.

I have started the story line in a flow chart type of visual design setting up the scenarios and consequences of the players actions. I dont want 3d graphics, animation, shoot em up. The story line is far harder than the actual game mechanics, app or whatever it is to be labeled.

The way I see it, it's nothing more than 100's of static scenes with the story being told on each scene with choices on each scene. Make sense, or am I dumb?

Make sense?

Yes, it's understandable. What are you looking for from this discussion?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Make sense?

Yes, it's understandable. What are you looking for from this discussion?

Lets pretend the story is done, what environment would you build this in? I am really focused on mobile reach. It appears quite easy if I simply wanted an html5 flash deal, but I need more direct reach into the mobile handsets. My other huge concern is the ability to save progress, what mechanics is involved here?

1. what environment would you build this in? I am really focused on mobile reach. It appears quite easy if I simply wanted an html5 flash deal, but I need more direct reach into the mobile handsets.
2. My other huge concern is the ability to save progress, what mechanics is involved here?

1. I moved your thread to Game Design because I thought you were looking for game design input. Are you only asking about what tools to use?
2. Is this a programming question too?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Your concept is very similar to the Japanese Visual Novel. It's a type of game very popular in Japan, even though many of them are either Dating-simulator or Erogame. (It means, a visual with some r-18 scene, the number of these scenes depend on the visual novel). The concept of these "games" is the same as you described, There is a lot of story, and at some point in the story the player as to make a choice, Depending on his choice, the story will have a different ending.

Many of these are the starting point for anime adaptation, the most known in europa may be the Fate/Stay franchise. (the anime adaptation is pretty good, btw)

But well, I could say a lot more, but I will stop here (google it if you want to know more :) ) . Maybe this can give you some ideas ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement