Need feedback on Spiderman Animation

Started by
11 comments, last by cardinal 10 years, 5 months ago

I made a Spiderman prototype in Java in 8 hours.

Animation has been a tough challenge during the first 8 hours.

I decided to post a video displaying how spiderman moves and attacks.

I recorded the prototype using Fraps.

I've been working on the protype for a long time so I need a fresh pair of eyes from other members to critique about the animation from the prototype just to make sure it looks right or how 2D animation should look.

Advertisement

Looks pretty good to me -- I don't mind the feet sliding while walking/running but some might pick at that. IMO, that's about the same quality as a lot of Kongregate-type games I've played. I think I see is a bit of jerking in the horizontal as you go through the stride sequence, maybe a matter of inconsistent reference points for frames of different width. Subtle though, could be a fraps issue. Slow motion might facilitate a better review.

The Four Horsemen of Happiness have left.

Looks pretty good to me -- I don't mind the feet sliding while walking/running but some might pick at that. IMO, that's about the same quality as a lot of Kongregate-type games I've played. I think I see is a bit of jerking in the horizontal as you go through the stride sequence, maybe a matter of inconsistent reference points for frames of different width. Subtle though, could be a fraps issue. Slow motion might facilitate a better review.

I think it might be part of the sprite. I might have to look into the jerkiness. I do see it right now. It could be an interval difference. Thanks!

Are those the animations from Capcom's VS series? It seems a bit slower than the original

Are those the animations from Capcom's VS series? It seems a bit slower than the original

It is from Marvel Superheroes.

Not sure it's actually sliding. It seems your movement is just delayed a few frames which makes it really ugly. If you fix that it would probably look a lot better. You can always adjust the walking speed if it doesn't look right. It's hard to tell from a video on a black background though.

Do you have a constant playback speed for your animations? Some of them seem faster than others. It's possible the original game didn't always have the same number of FPS for the different animations. You could play around with that too until you are happy.

Also, do you use the same animation for forwards and backwards walking? One of the directions seems backwards which can contribute to the sliding.

Not sure it's actually sliding. It seems your movement is just delayed a few frames which makes it really ugly. If you fix that it would probably look a lot better. You can always adjust the walking speed if it doesn't look right. It's hard to tell from a video on a black background though.

Do you have a constant playback speed for your animations? Some of them seem faster than others. It's possible the original game didn't always have the same number of FPS for the different animations. You could play around with that too until you are happy.

I am not sure what you mean constant playback speed for my animations. But I can tell you that the type of animations uses different intervals because some have more frames of animations.

I just realized this after pasting the code, but the more frames for that type of animation, I needed to use a smaller value for the interval. The less amount of animation frames, I needed to use more larger values for the interval.

Like this:

private int idleAnimationInterval = 3;    

private int moveAnimationInterval = 3;

private int attackAnimationInterval = 10;

private int shieldAnimationInterval = 10;

private static final int numberOfIdleAnimations = 10;

private static final int numberOfMoveAnimations = 12;

private static final int numberOfAttackAnimations = 7;

private static final int numberOfShieldAnimations = 4;

Also, do you use the same animation for forwards and backwards walking? One of the directions seems backwards which can contribute to the sliding.

They use the same animation. The only difference is the algorithm for forward movements and backward movement is the order in which the images are read by the algorithm.

The forward algorithm reads the first image to the last frame. The backward movement reads the last frame until the first frame.

The way I think of the implementation of backward algorithm was pretty much like "rewinding the forward animation" to give it that effect and walking backward.

I might add an actual background tomorrow just to make it easier for you and everyone to see it clearly.

Here is a video. Movement should be better to see with an added background.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement